I've now tried it around 25 times and still cannot froth milk for latte art, any tips? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
ramassen

#21: Post by ramassen »

In one of the videos online by James Hoffman at 8.23 minutes he talks about and shows the glossy paint like foam sitting on top of steamed milk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaKRBBpA4fw Then says to swirl and mix. All the other videos I see come across to me as if we are suppose to be going for a pitcher full of microfoam. Not just some on top of steamed milk?

Wondering what other understand about this, Roy

Jeff
Team HB

#22: Post by Jeff »

I go for as uniform a texture as I can. I like silky milk drinks, start to finish.

Others prefer a style where there's hot milk and coffee under a dry foam.

What I think JH is showing is how to "recover" from imperfect steaming. That tap breaks up any big bubbles you might have. The swirl helps to re-mix any separation that has occurred, before you pour.

Advertisement
ramassen

#23: Post by ramassen »

Jeff thank you for the response. I thought that the way other have shown their pouring of art that the pitchers were pretty full with the "microfoam". But so far I just haven't been able to get that much adn wondered if I miss understood the goal. I am not giving up and will keep trying different positions of the tip and wand until I find that sweet spot that works better, Roy