Grinder Advice - Single dose (Lagom P64 vs Weber Key) - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
LindoPhotography

#11: Post by LindoPhotography »

I had a bunch of grinders and all the different SSP burr types in the DF64s and Lagom P64, It definitely gives different results with the Weber Key and Lagom P64 with the Unimodal burrs. Those burrs are great for ultimate high flavour clarity but can be unforgiving as well if you don't get your brewing parameters right. I also have a DF64 with the sweet lab cast burrs, just sold an DF64 with the Espresso burrs so it's kinda in between the two (p64 with Unimodal burrs and DF64 with Sweet lab/cast burrs) so I thought it might be redundant.

The sweet lab is kinda conical like, higher body lower clarity, and the Weber key is kinda similar sometimes, at higher RPM it's also higher body lower clarity but at lower RPM it has pretty decent clarity for a conical burr. So I think that DF64 with the Sweet lab burrs might also be redundant but I'll probably play around with them and compare more.

Oh and I was saying I didn't love the workflow on the Weber Key, I found a way I like it better, without using the WDT / paperclip tool, without it the magic tumbler is much nicer to use. It's still less versatile since you need to use their tumbler, and don't have the option of dosing into a portafilter directly or another dosing cup like the Lagom p64, but it works pretty well, although I do get some popcorning bean fragments out the top so not perfect.

For the P64 with the Unimodal burrs, I find a get bad results usually for espresso at lower PRM I think it's TOO unimodal for espresso so I feel like with those burrs I'm kinda missing out on the RPM feature. But it works really well at higher RPM (very high clarity) I usually have it set to 7 out of 9. But at like 3 or 4 it's just hard to get good results with espresso for me. I think for coarser brewing methods low rpm would work well with those burrs for even higher clarity maybe.

I'm sure with the other burrs low RPM for espresso would give you higher clarity and less body, I wonder how those cast burrs would work in that case.
Maybe eventually I'll swap the DF64 and P64 burrs around, but don't wanna mess up the alignment on the DF64 unnecessarily.