Help with pulling decaf espresso shots - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
cgibsong002

#11: Post by cgibsong002 »

hundcafe wrote:I didn't change it from when I got it - the pressure is set to 10 on the pump I believe. I have the paddle mostly open, so the pressure at the group head goes up to 11 or so (on really fine grinds) but is generally between 9-10.
Yep, what poster above said. On my synch, it came set at 9.5 bar. I was getting ok results but nothing like what i got in the shop. Everything just had a harshness to it. Then i plumbed in which changed it to 10 bar, and every shot was horrific. I lowered to 8 bar and suddenly every shot is frickin magic. COMPLETELY changed the dark roasted decaf i was struggling with. Now it's great. Lower your pump pressure and i bet you'll have a better time.

woodie

#12: Post by woodie »

Hello,
A total novice here. Looking for hints on improving my decaf espresso. I have been drinking Doma Coffee's Jackie Oh which is a lighter roast swiss water process decaf. I started with it in a pour-over and am now trying to master it as an espresso.

As I chase a better shot I have a question on whether the basket I am using now my wife's coffee (caffeinated) is ok for the decaf or should I be adding a different basket to the pressure, temperature and dose variables I am playing with for the decaf?

TIA