Between Batch Protocol - Cormorant Roaster - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JaylewAF11

#31: Post by JaylewAF11 »

Hello! Just curious, but why do you do the pre-heating on a low gas setting instead of higher one?

I've had a Coromorant for 2-ish years now, but there are so many variables that it's difficult to nail down the root cause and effect of what I'm doing haha. Glad I found this forum of other CR600 users! I need some help troubleshooting an RoR that jumps around a bunch.

BoulderMike (original poster)

#32: Post by BoulderMike (original poster) »

Not sure if you were asking me or others who responded. I actually used to follow Johan's original instructions to charge and roast up until first crack at 25. I just tried the lower (10) charge temp from a suggestion earlier on this thread. Not sure of the best approach. I am really just trying to get my BT delta to look like others where it is steadily declining. My ROR doesn't seem bad, maybe not quite as steep as I would like, but not bad, it is just the BT delta that looks bad to me.

Advertisement
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#33: Post by LBIespresso »

JaylewAF11 wrote:Hello! Just curious, but why do you do the pre-heating on a low gas setting instead of higher one?

I've had a Coromorant for 2-ish years now, but there are so many variables that it's difficult to nail down the root cause and effect of what I'm doing haha. Glad I found this forum of other CR600 users! I need some help troubleshooting an RoR that jumps around a bunch.
I figure taking longer to heat it up will heat it up more evenly and thoroughly.

As for troubleshooting, have you tried running it at room temp without the burner. See if it jumps around then.
LMWDP #580

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by JohnB. »

I preheat at 25 & then turn up the gas to 35-40 (bean dependent) once the beans are in. I've got an earlier CR600 (11/2018) but updated it with the larger burner & regulator when they became available.
LMWDP 267