Flow control + Lelit MaraX - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
leeherman99

#11: Post by leeherman99 »

Jim - I did revert the unit to its stock state for now. I'm hoping the R&D they put into the unit is going to help me avoid endless fiddling.

thecatch33

#12: Post by thecatch33 »

another_jim wrote:When they added flow control, Lelit replaced the the stock E61 preinfusion spring with a stiffer one. The very soft spring in the Mara X is going to exacerbate the problem. Have you made the replacement?

FWIW, I think you are going against the Mara's "don't fiddle with the pressure or temperature, just make your d*mn shot" philosophy. But the fairly precise temperature controlled group head makes it an attractive target for adding a pressure mod.
Switching to a stiffer spring also changes the MaraX's stock pre-infusion pattern correct? In other words, there will be no pre-infusion with a stiffer spring, it would depend on using the flow control paddle to do so?

On another note, can anyone who has added flow control with the stiffer spring to MaraX confirm that this makes the paddle-to-pressure response more linear and predictable?

another_jim
Team HB

#13: Post by another_jim »

thecatch33 wrote:Switching to a stiffer spring also changes the MaraX's stock pre-infusion pattern correct? In other words, there will be no pre-infusion with a stiffer spring, it would depend on using the flow control paddle to do so?
Yes, the Bianca does not use the preinfusion cylinder at all. The flow control acts as a jet. So the initial position of the paddle determines how quickly the pressure will ramp up, regardless of the spring. I have worked with machines that have the regular spring plus paddle. They are a little mushier; the Mara will be a lot mushier.
Jim Schulman