BLIND SHAKER CUP.. I love it.. - what's your technique? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Qrumcof (original poster)

#11: Post by Qrumcof (original poster) »

michael wrote:I have the newer version too

Fun to use but I'm a little disappointed that the coffee grinds get lodged in the ridges and crevices in the top of the shaker and on the edges of the plug; when I use the kafatek catch cup there's no grind retention after the coffee is dumped into the pf 8)
I almost bought the kafatek cup, but ended up getting the new version blind shaker.. I do have to brush off the lid and the dust off the plunger. The places coffee sticks to the lid is unavoidable because the rim and indentation lock the plunger in place. If I knew in advance I could just shake or swirl the kafatek cup and get the same result, that would be easier and cheaper.

michael

#12: Post by michael »

I give the kafatek cup a quick stir and then do the flip over, no grind retention at all

Do grinds stick on the Weber version of the shaker 8)

#13: Post by Qrumcof (original poster) replying to michael »

Sounds like the flip over could easily function as shaking, without the extra parts of the blind shaker. I give the lid a quick brush because grounds stick in the groove around the edge. The plunger and cup has fine coffee dust that most would probably ignore (or clean at the end of the day).. I make 1-2 cups per day, so I clean everything every time. I use a paper towel on the cup, but I think it's arguable if it's necessary.. the inside is smooth like glazed ceramic, but fine dust will be in the paper towel (I suspect the same is true of the kafatek cup). Coffee sticks to everything, I don't see how it could be static electricity, because it's aluminum (I tested a magnet and it does not stick).

EDIT: Yeah, I have to brush off the plunger too.. Clanging it like a bell doesn't get enough off.. I started banging the lid with the wood handle of the brush.. 2 bangs get 95% of the grounds off.

tinman143

#14: Post by tinman143 »

Qrumcof wrote:Today I made a ring of holes with a toothpick before tamping, and I didn't get the usual ring of coffee stuck in the PF around the edge.. The shot turned out a darn good (will try to repeat tomorrow).
Hows this method holding up?

#15: Post by Qrumcof (original poster) replying to tinman143 »

I've only done it twice now, I don't think it's affecting the taste as far as I can tell. I would have to make several cups and go back-and-forth (w & w/o the toothpick) with the same coffee to figure it out.

BaristaBoy E61

#16: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

It pains me to tell you this as I do like my LWW Blind Shaker but I have abandoned its use a couple of years ago as using it involves extra steps that are not needed.

I've streamlined my workflow down to the bare essentials and the BS (Blind Shaker) is out!

YMMV
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#17: Post by Qrumcof (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote: I've streamlined my workflow down to the bare essentials and the BS (Blind Shaker) is out!
YMMV
What's your workflow?

BaristaBoy E61

#18: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I've eliminated devices that I used to use such as a LWW Blind Shaker and other funnels as much as possible. I just grind into the portafilter and use the thin side edge of a curate to distribute and WDT as I'm grinding with the ground coffee falling into the portafilter basket. The grinder runs till there's nothing more falling into the basket. There's no static from the grinder and there's no mess and very little to clean up to be done between shots. I always clean up after every shot with a make-up brush.

The 2nd & 3rd pics are of the mess created & the 4th pic is of the coffee before distribution with the Mahlgut Palm Dozer & Palm Tamper. The last pic is of the curate itself, a chemistry lab implement, on the K30 Drip Tray.

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

msimanyi

#19: Post by msimanyi »

Qrumcof wrote:Gosh (porcupress) probably over $300 with shipping (am I reading that right). It's hard to justify that much money when some people say there was improvement, others say it's worthless.
I totally understand. I got myself a birthday gift, so the bit of a splurge wasn't too offputting.

I've seen the commentary suggesting it's not worth it, but my litmus test - for me and my equipment - says it stays in the process. Basically, after I dialed in with it and grew accustomed to it, I tried going without. I didn't like those results so it's staying as part of my process.

Does it make as large a difference as good beans, good grinder, proper water temp? No. But for my tastebuds, it's a keeper.

#20: Post by Qrumcof (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:I've eliminated devices that I used to use such as a LWW Blind Shaker and other funnels as much as possible. I just grind into the portafilter and use the thin side edge of a curate to distribute and WDT as I'm grinding with the ground coffee falling into the portafilter basket.
Cool idea..