Lapera DS first edition user experience - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
CoffeeMac

#21: Post by CoffeeMac »

Have you looked to see what impact pre-infusion pressure has on your results? Say in the 2-bar to 6-bar line pressure range?
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#22: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to CoffeeMac »

No - I'm running the machine on a Flojet. I have a pressure gauge on the water line just before it goes into the machine, and it reads about 50psi at idle (3.4bar). Off the top of my head, I wouldn't expect line pressure to impact the temperature performance of the machine.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

CoffeeMac

#23: Post by CoffeeMac »

I've found it makes a measurable difference on my Londinium Compressa; I got a Shurflo pump/accumulator and variable pressure regulator to allow me to control PI pressure in the 2-6 bar range.

LMWDP #706

Team HB

#24: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to CoffeeMac »

The Londinium and Lapera DS are different in how they heat. I'm not too up on Londiniums, but, IIRC, current Londiniums use a thermosyphon to heat the group and an integral HX, with the result that the higher the input pressure, the hotter the brew water will become. In the Lapera DS, the group is heated by the diagonal HX mounted directly to the back of the group (and thus the group is physically connected to the boiler). I don't see how line pressure would change the temperature of the boiler ...

CoffeeMac

#25: Post by CoffeeMac »

I see; didn't realize the group was connected to the boiler in the Lapera.

LMWDP #706

Team HB

#26: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

CoffeeMac wrote:I see; didn't realize the group was connected to the boiler in the Lapera.
It is an unusual configuration for an HX. I think that the Victoria Arduino Athena is the only other current production lever machine to do the same.

Somewhat related, the Athena has a pressure regulator that lowers the line pressure, and they claim:
https://www.espressoparts.com/products/athena-espresso-machine-2-group-leva-chrome wrote:... a special pressure reducer reduces the pressure of the water supply, which is normally 4 to 6 bar, while the Athena has a pressure of 1 to 1.2 bar. With these specifications, coffee extractions with the Athena Leva are particularly creamy and not burnt (as may happen with water at high temperatures).
... so eventually I'll put in a pressure regulator and see how Nuova Simonelli's marketing holds up :wink:.

JeeeKa

#27: Post by JeeeKa »

Serial number #0005 reports for duty.

I don't have a lot of time on my hands at the moment, but will revert back asap with my first experiences.

Team HB

#28: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

JeeeKa wrote:Serial number #0005 reports for duty ...
Great to hear! 8)

For others, there's a little humour in the usually-hidden little control panel:

Machine on stand-by:
Warmed-up:
(This display turns on with a button push and turns off after a few seconds of inactivity.)

beer&mathematics

#29: Post by beer&mathematics »

Congrats to all! Had I the money I would have bought one no hesitation...a special machine, enjoy!
LMWDP #431