What's really the difference between espresso machines? - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
tennisman03110 (original poster)

#31: Post by tennisman03110 (original poster) »

My first few weeks with the Dual Boiler compared to the Duo Temp. Comparing B&W The Classic, not the same bag, but similar in freshness (between 1-3 weeks off roast).

1. The BDB espresso shots are less sour and have a rounder flavor. Temp at 201 F.
2. The ability to change temperature and play around with pre-infusion opens a whole world of variability, even among the same coffee.
3. The BDB is quieter in operation, believe it or not.
4. The BDB has been much more consistent shot to shot, after I dialed in. It took a while going from 53mm to 58mm. The Sette 270 stays the same. Went from 4C to 2B. So two macro rings.
5. I've yet to steam milk with the BDB (it leaks :x ), however it's much more powerful and instant. Probably an obvious one.

One win for the Duo Temp, it was a bit faster to heat. I could turn it on, run a few blank shots, and have a hot espresso in 5 minutes. The BDB is at least 10 minutes.

So....BDB is a much better machine so far. Not necessarily a fair comparison. But my thoughts to so far.

pcrussell50

#32: Post by pcrussell50 »

tennisman03110 wrote: 5. I've yet to steam milk with the BDB (it leaks :x ), however it's much more powerful and instant. Probably an obvious one.
Have you unscrewed the tip and made sure the o-ring is there?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Advertisement
tennisman03110 (original poster)

#33: Post by tennisman03110 (original poster) replying to pcrussell50 »

There is no O-Ring. I didn't even bother trying to get one for free from Breville. I just ordered one for $5.

pcrussell50

#34: Post by pcrussell50 replying to tennisman03110 »

If you don't want to wait you can probably find one at a mom'n'pop Ace or True Value hardware store. Just bring the tip with you and try them on. Will probably be under $0.50... plus gas and time of course...

-Peter
LMWDP #553