Profitec Pro 800 shot volume

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Abecker

#1: Post by Abecker »

What are people usually seeing for their shot volume with the Pro 800? I have noticed on mine it usually tops out around 30-35ml.

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

Not sure if it's 100% the same spec, but on the L1 I just got a little over 40ml by volume when releasing the lever after the first drop hit the cup, i.e. puck was fully saturated and waiting a couple minutes for crema to settle. So 30-35ml seems in the ball park.

eastpresso

#3: Post by eastpresso »

If you do a search you will find varying info on this? Here is an example
Blacktip wrote:I pull a full shot on my Pro 800 for cold coffee. I use any left over coffee I have. I use the included 21g basket. I fill the basket about 20g and let the lever do its thing. I cool the espresso, then add cold milk - no ice. A full pull on the Pro 800 is 45 gram of liquid, approx.
and here another one
LDT wrote:Blacktip, My results may be similar to yours. I haven't bothered to weigh my shots since the machine in not in its permanent home awaiting some cabinets. I'm using my own roasts of El Salvador Finca Kilimanjaro and SM's La Tacita Floral Giesha Blend. I'm using 16 grams in and getting 40 ml out (1.5 ounces) using an Espresso Parts 14 gram basket. Adding 12 ounces of steamed milk for a lattes. Results have been very consistent - day after day. PID is set to 246F yielding just a bit over 1 bar boiler pressure. Edited - changed 30ml to 40ml. :oops:
Water absorption of the coffee used, the dose, pre-infusion time, technique/pressure etc. all influence the reply to your question so unless you're more specific it will be hard to compare the result. The common denominator seems to be the group is capable of doing a double shot.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

The volume of the Pro 800 cylinder is close to 60ml and that will weigh about 60 grams. The percentage of that which makes it into the shot depends on how complete the preinfusion is and how long the shot runs.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

HRC-E.B.

#5: Post by HRC-E.B. »

Am I correct in understanding that with levers such as the Pro 800 or a Bosco, if one wants, say, 30g in the cup, you essentially have to move the cup from under the group and continue extracting into the drip tray?

Isn't there a less messy way of controlling shot volume?

Balthazar_B

#6: Post by Balthazar_B »

HRC-E.B. wrote:Am I correct in understanding that with levers such as the Pro 800 or a Bosco, if one wants, say, 30g in the cup, you essentially have to move the cup from under the group and continue extracting into the drip tray?
In a word, yes.
It's not really messy, especially if the (commercial) machine is plumbed-in and -out as designed. And if you want to keep the blonded extraction from going into the drip tray, just substitute a waste cup under the spout when you pull your shot away.

EDIT p.s. Please don't pull the portafilter off before the spring lever has returned to its resting position. Anyone who has done so will have done so exactly once. And talk about a mess! :)
- John

LMWDP # 577

Zuhallem1

#7: Post by Zuhallem1 »

Removing the cup after the desired volume is the only way to control the shot volume.

espressotime

#8: Post by espressotime »

HRC-E.B. wrote:Am I correct in understanding that with levers such as the Pro 800 or a Bosco, if one wants, say, 30g in the cup, you essentially have to move the cup from under the group and continue extracting into the drip tray?

Why is that messy?That is exactly what the drip tray is for.