Gauging interest - SSP burr set group buy for Rossi RR45

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bigred23

#1: Post by bigred23 »

At the risk of being laughed off this forum for suggesting such a thing, I can't help but be giddy with the thought of installing a set of SSP burrs on the Rossi RR45 grinder I picked up a few years back on ebay for $150. Through some backyard mods and burr alignment, it's a solid performer with a 64mm burr set. Unfortunately, SSP's current 64mm offerings are not a drop-in option due to cutting direction and/or bolt center diameter (BCD) dimensions.

I've talked with Hansung, and he would be more than happy to produce a small production run, but he requires a minimum order of 10 sets. I know there are a few home baristas out there still using these old Rossi's. Is there any interest here? I would be more than happy to facilitate including sending Hansung a used set so he could create drawings, etc. Let me know

p.s. Dan - my apologies if there is a more-appropriate place for this topic

mellowblue

#2: Post by mellowblue »

Hi. Just saw your post yesterday cause iam looking for new mods and burrs.
I would be interested in these burrs.... well still depends on how much it is going to cost us.

Advertisement
bigred23 (original poster)

#3: Post by bigred23 (original poster) »

I can almost hear the crickets chirping here...lol

Anyway, Hansung responded back to me that he could do the 10 set run for $150 per. These sets would have the "red speed" coating

mellowblue

#4: Post by mellowblue »

We.. if you are okay with it i will repost your idea in a german forum. I know there are still some users here. In comparison to other ssp red coating burrs the price seems good. Maybe he could share with us what kind of steel is being used..

#5: Post by bigred23 (original poster) »

I know Michael from barista hustle uses one in his home so I sent a note to him; but absolutely, feel free to spread the word

ripvanmd

#6: Post by ripvanmd »

Man, he told me fifty sets for replacement Jericho burrs....envious

#7: Post by bigred23 (original poster) »

Well, find one of these things and hop on board!

Advertisement
zombiecoffee

#8: Post by zombiecoffee »

I try to dig up my old RR45. I'll let it go to cheap to get one into someones hands .
Anyone can turn green beans brown...

nlukas

#9: Post by nlukas »

I'm currently using a RR45, it's served me well the last couple years for drip coffee. I recently got my first espresso machine & have really been looking to upgrade to something stepless. If I could find a 80 step ring I could live with it, but I'm getting by with the Teflon tape mod. I think $150 seems pretty steep for burrs when the grinder isn't worth much more than that. It's probably getting time for new burrs, but I will probably end up selling it. I will probably let the next owner purchase the ones they want. There are still lots of RR45 variants still in use, it's just going to be tough to find enough needing burrs. Good Luck