Are used La Marzocco GS/3's pretty much impossible to find?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pcrussell50

#1: Post by pcrussell50 »

Part of their appeal to me is La Marzocco's way they have made evolutionary-type changes so that owners of older models can update/upgrade them to current specs. I guess I'm not the only one who feels this way. I found zero on eBay. Zero on Los Angeles Craigslist. Zero on San Diego Craigslist. Zero on Denver Craigslist. Zero on Las Vegas Craigslist. I did find a two group Strada MP on Los Angeles Craigslist... That is located in Portland, for less than the cost of a new GS/3. And truth be told, I have been mostly interested in a 220v plumbed and outboarded machine anyway, but... Lately, HB has been convincing me I can get by with a plumbed GS/3 on 20A... That, and spousal acceptance...is a factor.

You guys who are more in tune with LM... Do you have concerns that they might abandon the GS/3 for some other all new clean sheet design for a flagship home machine? I mean, it has been out for a while now and all.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Peppersass »

pcrussell50 wrote: You guys who are more in tune with LM... Do you have concerns that they might abandon the GS/3 for some other all new clean sheet design for a flagship home machine? I mean, it has been out for a while now and all.
You never know what a manufacturer will do, but I don't see this happening. Many successful espresso machine designs have been produced for decades, and there's not much incentive to discontinue them because the cost of tooling up for a new design is quite steep, not to mention the risk of market acceptance and the cost of troubleshooting and correcting inevitable flaws early in the product life cycle. I don't think most manufacturers will do it unless they're getting beaten up in the market by newer designs. That's not the case with the GS/3, which has evolved in significant ways over its lifetime (GS/3 AV --> GS/3 MP --> GS/3 MP with conical valve.) Also, I think the custom versions now available from LM USA and other sources keep the machine looking fresh and up to date.

LM has sold thousands of GS/3s in the last 10 years or so and they're still going strong. The fact that you can't find a used GS/3 is testimony to the continued attraction this machine has for home baristas.

Rather than fix something that ain't broke, it seems to me that LM created the LMLM to address the cost and size issues that some home users may have with the GS/3.

Pushjerk

#3: Post by Pushjerk »

There's a gentleman just north of me in Bellingham WA offloading a late 2015 GS3 MP with very little use for what seems to be a good price. Evidently the machine's destiny was commercial but the business never got off the ground.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 1878146722

I hear the drive up the Oregon Coast is fantastic!

Good luck with your search.

al3xx

#4: Post by al3xx »

There's also this guy on eBay.

Pushjerk

#5: Post by Pushjerk »

Peter,

You didn't happen to buy a GS3 out of Bellingham Washington yesterday, did you?

As I have previously messaged the seller, I have received automatic notifications for changes in the ad. Coincidently, not too long after I posted the link on here yesterday, I was notified that the machine was sold!

Anyway, I hope someone walked away with a good deal.