I Joined the Club

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by jwCrema »

I have been looking for an Olympia Express Club for a while and haven't seen one, so I hunted down Migg in Switzerland via Google after seeing him referenced by others on this board. My objective for a machine was that it worked, but had good bones for an eventual restore. I tried to do this when I acquired my Cremina, but that project was blown up when the thing showed up in "never been used" condition: The Olympia Cremina Rebuild That Wasn't

Eventually I found Migg at https://olympia-kaffeemachinen.ch/ Through the wonders of Google Translate, (I speak English and Migg speaks German), I found he had several Clubs in stock, and which one would I like? I did some homework on running 220V appliances in the US and pulled the trigger last month. Shipping via Swiss Economy Post was around $140 to send the machine to Idaho.

Yesterday it arrived - it was partially restored by the previous owner so all of the gnarly issues are behind me. This is a 1969 machine.

I spent yesterday cleaning it - I noticed the same "black soot" in the boiler filler pipe Leveraddict found on his epic post, (which inspired me to pursue this machine). Olympia Club Restoration DIY Rebuild

I was very interested to find out what the "black soot" is, since both machines had it. Searching on this site found a post from Dr Pavlis, who explained this is Cu0 (Copper Oxide). The question of how to get rid of it led me to this answer: it's a good thing, so I left it alone. My thinking is it is a protective layer to the copper boiler, is no risk from health perspective, and using acids to get rid of it does present a health risk downside.

I solved the electrical problem with this LiteFuze transformer from Amazon.
It cost me less than an electrician, and has more than enough capacity to sustain 1300 watt output. When I turned everything on, the Club and Transformer ran very quietly and the boiler took a really long time to heat up. I wondered if I had purchased the correct transformer?

In my excitement to turn on the Club, I didn't notice this massive notice in the back and had started it in the default 220V position. Once I flipped the transformer to the correct setting I had a beast on my hands. Wow! It's hard to believe 300 Watts more than the Cremina makes this much of a difference - it seems like double the power.

My first restoration project will be to replace the wiring with high temp MIL-Spec aircraft wire. This stuff is nickel plated copper and higher spec than temperature tolerant silicone wire I've seen used.

Eventually, I plan on converting this machine to 110V. I would never consider doing a 220V to 110V conversion on a modern machine, but these babies are little analog wonders. Migg tells me its on/off switch is exactly the same part for both 110V and 220V systems, and he installed a brand new switch. I saw that this machine didn't have the original PStat and saw this as a simplifying component to resolve in the conversion process. I'll just read the Mater switch number and get a 110V. I think Orphan Espresso used to sell heating elements for the Club, but they're not listed any longer. I have a few 110V 1300W elements identified, and I believe all USA owners will eventually need a new element.

Finally, while I do highly technical work, this journey was an unbelievably enjoyable undertaking. Migg was absolutely a pleasure to work with. I sat in Idaho with my computer, working with a guy 5,000 miles away, speaking completely in different languages that were translated by Google and made a deal I could not be happier with. When it arrived, everything worked: he is the most qualified guy on the planet to work on one of this babies. He has a lot of parts on hand, so I'm sure I'll be buying something else from him in the future.

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

Great score. Congratulations !!
Are these spring loaded or the same group as the Cremina ?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

grog

#3: Post by grog »

Spring lever, 49mm group.
LMWDP #514

miab

#4: Post by miab »

Congratulations, very nice machine!

If you take it out at some point could you please take a picture of the shower screen and even better, some measurements of it.

jwCrema (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by jwCrema (original poster) replying to miab »

I am traveling today, but will do. The screen looks just like the one found on a Cremina, and I'm pretty sure it's the same.

grog

#6: Post by grog »

Yes, the shower screen is identical to the ones on all '67' model Creminas.

That is a gorgeous machine. I've always liked the look of the straight-on steam and water wands of the early Clubs and Creminas before they went to the angled version in 72 or 73.
LMWDP #514

boost

#7: Post by boost »

Great machine. The wand looks a bit short, how does it steam?
Curious to see what 110V heating element you find, I am looking for the same style for my Conti but have not find 110V one.

jwCrema (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by jwCrema (original poster) replying to boost »

Thanks. It steams with gusto -at full open you need to be ready and have the wand immersed properly to avoid a mess.

I am looking at http://www.cafeparts.com for the conversion element. They have detailed photos with dimensions. I will start on this next week.

LObin

#9: Post by LObin »

Welcome aboard!
Ever since I got mine, ao fond it much easier to get out of bed in the morning! Fantastic machines!
Your club looks gorgeous! Migg is a great fellow no doubt!

Even though I was fortunate enough to have, in my kitchen, ap double 125v plug paired with a 250v breaker in my electrical box... I'm quite interested in your 110v heating element hunt... Please let us know the results.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

LObin

#10: Post by LObin »

Isn't the Club boiler made out of brass? I was under the impression... Considering electroless nickel plating on mine.

I switched my PF and lever handles with the new longer handles from Cerini. Same design as the old original ones (doubt your PF handle is original...?) but at least 50% longer. Makes more sense, especially when pulling the lever.

Anyone thought about or actually added a vacuum breaker? I was thinking of adding a MFF 1/4" T connection where the safety valve is and put both valves on each side of the T, horizontally...
LMWDP #592