Best grinder under $1000 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Blacktip

#1: Post by Blacktip »

For home use. 2-4 drinks a day.

Considering a Spring Lever Machine. What would be the best grinder under 1k? The cheaper the better.

I am intrigued by Eureka Zenith 65E, and Atom. The price is very similar, but the spec of the Zenith is better, and the Atom looks ugly (to me)

What I like about Eureka is the burr can be cleaned without missing up the settings. Ceado has similar design, but it is too expensive.

Suggestions are appreciated.

John49

#2: Post by John49 »

For 2-4 shots per day consider the Kinu M47, a manual grinder for $300.

Advertisement
chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

2-4 drinks a day? I'd go hands down with the HG-1 if you want to stay under a grand and would consider a manual.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

A used Compak K10 Pro Barista/WBC.
LMWDP 267

russel

#5: Post by russel replying to JohnB. »

This.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

redbone

#6: Post by redbone »

If looking at new and for the money my vote is with The Fiorenzato F4E Nano 58mm.
Fiorenzato F4 E Nano observations

If speed is of issue the 64+mm grinders from Mazzer, Ceado, Eureka and Fiorenzato are all well rated capable grinders.

If used, I often see Mazzer Super Jolly grinders come up. Upgraded with 64mm SSP burrs and you would have a super grinder well under 1K.

* Passed by the Fiorenzato dealer this weekend. He stated that they are liking the brand as it has given very little returns or repairs and performs exceptionally well as per testing and customer feedback. "Nothing comes close for the money".
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Blacktip (original poster)

#7: Post by Blacktip (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies.

I don't want a manual. Speed is not important. What is important to me is reliability, consistency, and ease of maintenance.

Where do you guys find used equipments that are in good condition? I have been looking at Craigslist and ebay for weeks, and I couldn't find anything that is worthwhile.

Anyone has any opinion of Zenith e65 vs Atom?

Advertisement
r7

#8: Post by r7 »

Here is a good, short, 3rd party review of the Zenith 65e:

http://coffeetime.wdfiles.com/local--fi ... ni%20E.pdf

Like you, I am impressed with their adjustment system and ease of cleaning. Unless the sound level is an issue, I would tend toward the Zenith, but I don't own either.

Given your criteria, the 65e seems like a good fit.

Phaedrus

#9: Post by Phaedrus »

I've owned an Atom since November and I'm quite happy with it. It's very quiet and has a great user interface (should be the same as the 65e). The time adjustment controls are a real time saver. For example, if you have your double shot set for 7.5 seconds and find that there isn't enough coffee, simply press the '+' button to add time in 0.1s increments. Same goes for reducing the time, except you press the '-'. Having those hard buttons is a great feature as all the other grinders I looked at required you to go into a sub-menu by holding down keys and perform multiple button presses in order to increase or decrease the dose time. It may not sound like a big deal now, but if you change beans frequently, you'll quickly realize how useful those button are. The sound level, of course, is the Atom's claim to fame and it's true. You can easily carry on a conversation while grinding. For the price, I think it's very well built. If you look hard enough you can easily get the jet black Atom for under $800 with free shipping. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about the Atom. Good luck with your purchase!

forbeskm

#10: Post by forbeskm »

Hand grinder Lido 2/e/etc (~200) or a Pharos (250-350 at the moment) Use them daily with a Cremina.

Lots of threads on both of these and others in the grinder forum.