E61 HX Choice - Profitec Pro 500 PID or Rocket Giotto/Cellini Evoluzione V2? - Page 8

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
HRC-E.B. (original poster)

#71: Post by HRC-E.B. (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion Bluediesel77.

However, this one looks like a step back in quality for a small step forward in features and, then again, this still has the same vibe pump that, really, is my only point of contention with the Profitec. As mentioned above, if there were a version in every way identical to the Pro 500 PID but with a rotary pump and tank or plumbability for not more than, say, $250 more than the Pro 500 PID, my quest would be over and that's what I'd buy.

Unfortunately, it looks like I either have to pay considerably more to get a pricier Rocket Evo R ($700+ more factoring in sales taxes), or compromise on features (i.e., no PID and so little to no temp adjustability if I go with the Rocket Evo V2, or no rotary pump or plumbabiilitiy if I go with the Profitec).

I still can't decide between those two compromises. One part of me thinks: "f_ck it, just get the Rocket, the looks and commercial ruggedness of which you like, and forget about this whole temperature thing; these machines come set-up for a repeatable 200 F approx, and that should be good enough for most coffees you'll buy anyway". The other part of me says: "just get the Profitec; it's a customer favorite, vibe pump notwithstanding, you'll get temperature adjustability and predictability without hassle, and a simple, well thought-out, well put together and reliable design to boot."

These two sides are yet to finish their death match...

Radio.YYZ

#72: Post by Radio.YYZ »

I see your conundrum!

I don't think this is true: "f_ck it, just get the Rocket, the looks and commercial ruggedness of which you like, and forget about this whole temperature thing; these machines come set-up for a repeatable 200 F approx"
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

#73: Post by HRC-E.B. (original poster) replying to Radio.YYZ »

Thanks for the reply, but would you forgive me if I said that it would have been more helpful if you had taken the time to explain in a bit more detail?

What part of this statement isn't true, according to you, and why?

bluediesel77

#74: Post by bluediesel77 »

Quickmill machines are not a step back in quality by any means, but that's another thread in itself.

If you were in my neck of the woods, there's a R58 on Kijiji for $2000 that would check all your boxes. I see your in MTL, ad is in EDM.

If you don't mind me asking, why is it that you want a rotary? Are you going to plumb it in? Looking to plumb in the near future? Or is it the sound of a vibe pump you don't like?

Reason I ask is there is no rotary pump models in your price range except for the deal your offered on the Evo V2. Most HX machines don't add rotary because it starts to price a machine high enough where DB machines come in to play.

Your putting too much emphasis on the machine, whereas your real emphasis should be on your grinder. Which you haven't said what grinder your pairing the machine with, or already have. All prosumer level machines will brew great once you learn how to use it.

shanewiebeftr

#75: Post by shanewiebeftr »

HRC-E.B. wrote:Thanks for the suggestion Bluediesel77.

However, this one looks like a step back in quality for a small step forward in features and, then again, this still has the same vibe pump that, really, is my only point of contention with the Profitec. As mentioned above, if there were a version in every way identical to the Pro 500 PID but with a rotary pump and tank or plumbability for not more than, say, $250 more than the Pro 500 PID, my quest would be over and that's what I'd buy.

Unfortunately, it looks like I either have to pay considerably more to get a pricier Rocket Evo R ($700+ more factoring in sales taxes), or compromise on features (i.e., no PID and so little to no temp adjustability if I go with the Rocket Evo V2, or no rotary pump or plumbabiilitiy if I go with the Profitec).

I still can't decide between those two compromises. One part of me thinks: "f_ck it, just get the Rocket, the looks and commercial ruggedness of which you like, and forget about this whole temperature thing; these machines come set-up for a repeatable 200 F approx, and that should be good enough for most coffees you'll buy anyway". The other part of me says: "just get the Profitec; it's a customer favorite, vibe pump notwithstanding, you'll get temperature adjustability and predictability without hassle, and a simple, well thought-out, well put together and reliable design to boot."

These two sides are yet to finish their death match...
I feel like you'll be happy with whatever one you choose. They're both top notch machines with lots of good reviews. I find that I'm the biggest variable when it comes to making espresso at home between dosing, distribution and tamping. The machine plays an important role but there's a lot of stuff that needs to go right before you get a good shot. :wink: Also, I bought my pro 500 on idrinkcoffee.com and was pleasantly surprised with a bunch of loyalty points. They paid for a bottomless portafilter and a knock box and a few other accessories that I had forgotten in the initial purchase.

shanewiebeftr

#76: Post by shanewiebeftr »

bluediesel77 wrote: Your putting too much emphasis on the machine, whereas your real emphasis should be on your grinder. Which you haven't said what grinder your pairing the machine with, or already have. All prosumer level machines will brew great once you learn how to use it.
This +1

#77: Post by HRC-E.B. (original poster) replying to shanewiebeftr »

I'll answer the grinder question. For now, I'm using the basic conical burr grinder that is integrated in my LP machine. I have a Mazzer Mini Doser that I'm turning in to a Franken-Mazzer Mini-Jolly by installing 64mm burr carriers and Super Jolly burrs into it. By all accounts it is supposed to perform at least as well as a Super Jolly, which I think is plenty of grinder for just about any prosumer machine, and wouldn't necessarily be out of range for even more machine than that.

Regarding why the rotary: because it is nicer, smoother, sounds nicer, is more rugged, and because I will likely plumb this machine before I upgrade it. (I plan on keeping it a good number of years, because the next step up is going to be so expensive that I don't see myself taking it anytime soon and because I'm hoping to make delicious espresso with this one for many years.) If I spend north of two grand on a glorified kettle with a pump to make coffee, in my mind, it better be nice, and a vibe pump, to me, simply screams "entry level" and "not that nice".

Radio.YYZ

#78: Post by Radio.YYZ »

HRC-E.B. wrote:Thanks for the reply, but would you forgive me if I said that it would have been more helpful if you had taken the time to explain in a bit more detail?

What part of this statement isn't true, according to you, and why?
For me atleast, i used a rocket cellini and it did not scream ruggedness or commercial quality at all. But mostly i think that none of the HX machines are set to brew at 200F out of the box without flushing, whether rocket or profitic or any other hx machine you will need to do some sort of flushing to get the desired temp. The restrictor only stabilizes the temperature somewhat so you have to do small amount of flushes. If what WLL says that you don't need flushing, i would like to see that reported by users here who use the machine - because then it would make the pro 500 pid a revolutionary machine. I think you will need to do flush on the pro 500.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

#79: Post by HRC-E.B. (original poster) replying to Radio.YYZ »

I think you are reading a bit too much into my post. When I say it comes set up this wayz I mean that once properly operated (and yes, it includes some flushing), it is set to operate at a certain average temp and cannot be adjusted much from there, unlike the Profitec that can be set higher or lower more easily. That's all.

bluediesel77

#80: Post by bluediesel77 »

HRC-E.B. wrote:Regarding why the rotary: because it is nicer, smoother, sounds nicer, is more rugged, and because I will likely plumb this machine before I upgrade it.
And there it is, so pull the trigger and get on the coffee train.