Let's Unbox a Monolith Conical! - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mauijer

#31: Post by mauijer »

Thanks for sharing. Excellent photography, what camera and lens are you using?

What grinder did to move up from before the EG-1?

BaristaBob

#32: Post by BaristaBob »

Balthazar_B wrote:And assuming you will want one -- let's call it a probability -- the main question will be whether you want a M-Con or a M-Flat. FWIW, what drew me to the M-Con were the following:
  • Forgiveness: The conical evidently needs less adjustment day-to-day than the Flat. Fiddly stuff drives me insane.
  • The consensus is that the medium-to-semidark roasts I tend to prefer favor grinding on conicals.
  • The M-Con costs less than her M-Flat brother.
I love my M-Con. While I'm curious how the same coffee would turn out ground on a M-Flat, and whether my palate would perceive any difference, much less any preference, I feel no desire to have one, nor any other grinder. If the M-Con's longevity exceeds my own -- as I expect it shall -- I'll die a happy man.
John,

Check
Check
Check

Think your list and mine are in perfect agreement. Now the only thing that separates us is the fact you own one and I do not...yet! :wink:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Phaedrus

#33: Post by Phaedrus »

David, to get the all black look on your Monolith, you had to order the black anodized and the black motor options, correct?

BaristaBob

#34: Post by BaristaBob »

After seeing those fluffy grinds, I thought I'd post what flows from my Rancilio Rocky. This is not a "dump" on the Rocky, just the facts. It's three years old, in excellent condition, with sharp burrs. It wasn't until I started using a bottomless pf that I became aware of the poor flow thru the pf. I've solved most of this with lots of WDT, a distribution tool, and a Decent Espresso tamper. But the appearance of the grinds thru the MonoCon is just mind blowing!

If you look closely you can see Mt. Rainer, Mt. Saint Helens, Mt. Hood all at the same time. :|
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Turbo Ron

#35: Post by Turbo Ron »

Phaedrus wrote:David, to get the all black look on your Monolith, you had to order the black anodized and the black motor options, correct?
Yes

Balthazar_B

#36: Post by Balthazar_B »

Turbo Ron wrote:Yes
Ron, that's the Johnny Cash of coffee grinders. :)
- John

LMWDP # 577