Let's Unbox a Monolith Conical! - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
marlodmb

#21: Post by marlodmb »

desmodici wrote:Congrats. Looks incredible in all black. My Monolith Conical went from grind of 8 to a 2 after breakin, Which took a couple months (even with a 5lb initial seasoning), so it will be a while before you can accurately assess it.
Mine too. Was around 8 and now I'm around 2-1.5

Aguirre

#22: Post by Aguirre replying to marlodmb »

Isn't it a good idea to accelerate the break in with few pounds of minute rice? This is the actual procedure recommended by LWW for the HG-one, which I've followed and liked very much.

desmodici

#23: Post by desmodici »

David. Thanks for highlighting one of the key benefits that only pictures can illustrate clearly - very even, fluffy, non-clumpy grinds that are very to distribute evenly with one or two taps

BaristaBob

#24: Post by BaristaBob replying to desmodici »

David,

Maybe I shouldn't have asked for the pics of the grinds. Now my chances to order a MonoCon just got more difficult...everyone is going to want those fluffy grounds! :?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

desmodici

#25: Post by desmodici replying to BaristaBob »

Hahhaa... You don't have to worry about competition from me, I've been enjoying fluffy grinds since November

jerbear00

#26: Post by jerbear00 »

excellent photography! love the photos

Phaedrus

#27: Post by Phaedrus »

Yep, I pretty much want one now.
BaristaBob wrote:David,

Maybe I shouldn't have asked for the pics of the grinds. Now my chances to order a MonoCon just got more difficult...everyone is going to want those fluffy grounds! :?

BaristaBob

#28: Post by BaristaBob »

Phaedrus wrote:Yep, I pretty much want one now.
Boy do I have an itchy pre-order trigger finger! :shock:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Phaedrus

#29: Post by Phaedrus replying to BaristaBob »

Well, the good news (or is it bad news) is that the pre-orders are sold out, so the best you can do is get on the mailing list. You'll have plenty of time to contemplate whether or not you really want one.

Balthazar_B

#30: Post by Balthazar_B »

Phaedrus wrote:Well, the good news (or is it bad news) is that the pre-orders are sold out, so the best you can do is get on the mailing list. You'll have plenty of time to contemplate whether or not you really want one.
And assuming you will want one -- let's call it a probability -- the main question will be whether you want a M-Con or a M-Flat. FWIW, what drew me to the M-Con were the following:
  • Forgiveness: The conical evidently needs less adjustment day-to-day than the Flat. Fiddly stuff drives me insane.
  • The consensus is that the medium-to-semidark roasts I tend to prefer favor grinding on conicals.
  • The M-Con costs less than her M-Flat brother.
I love my M-Con. While I'm curious how the same coffee would turn out ground on a M-Flat, and whether my palate would perceive any difference, much less any preference, I feel no desire to have one, nor any other grinder. If the M-Con's longevity exceeds my own -- as I expect it shall -- I'll die a happy man.
- John

LMWDP # 577