Is there a video review of the Monolith Flat?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Aguirre

#1: Post by Aguirre »

This is kinda funny.

My dream grinder (well, maybe that will change with the MAX) is the only one for which I can't find a video review anywhere.

Is it my poor searching techniques or is there some other mysterious reason for proud owners not videotaping their precious mono flats?

bettysnephew

#2: Post by bettysnephew »

There is a short video on Kafateks site that shows it being used and I think I have seen something on Youtube but I did not check it out.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Aguirre (original poster)

#3: Post by Aguirre (original poster) replying to bettysnephew »

Yes, I've seen those. But still, no review that I'm aware of

Chris65

#4: Post by Chris65 »

So I've looked pretty extensively as well. As far as I can tell no one has done an in depth video review. There are short unboxing and setup videos. Also I have found a good amount of videos of the grinder in action, but nothing where people are discussing it or reviewing it. Your best source would be reading some of the text reviews on here. There are some especially good comparison threads between the flat and the conical that go into great detail.

Aguirre (original poster)

#5: Post by Aguirre (original poster) »

Yes, seen/read all those as well and they're the reason why the flat is my next grinder of choice.

Just wish there were also some video reviews available, so I could keep watching it until I'm finally able to put my hands on the real thing :)

BillBurrGrinder

#6: Post by BillBurrGrinder »

I have contemplated starting an espresso review YouTube channel. I cannot find anyone reviewing different beans. I can't even find decent reviews for any equipment other than by sellers. Still, there are some but no bean reviewers. It's weird.

My guess is the monolith conical and flat are top notch...but maybe not that much better in practice than [insert favorite $800 grinder here] because of two reasons..for one, any more precision may not be that noticeable to our palates ability to pick up on minute changes and two, even if we could decipher flavors down to the size of an atom...doesn't mean it would taste better to be perfectly uniform.

2 good examples would be:
720 vs 1080 (there's a difference, but it's not a huge leap like SD to HD)
Blueberries (I like a mixture of the really sweet ones with the sour ones, not all uniform)

So...this might hold true and it might not. This is why we need practical reviews from realistic reviewers.

lucasd

#7: Post by lucasd »

Reason #1 The maker does not really need to invest in marketing, as he sells them faster than he makes them.

Reason #2 Also this is very limited run, you probably won't find review of Titus grinder. Simple as it is, if user review, than he writes, unless he prefers video or makes money out of it...

BillBurrGrinder

#8: Post by BillBurrGrinder replying to lucasd »

Neither of those are reasons why there wouldn't be video reviews of the product...

I will do an in depth review when I score one. I think the next run is July.

Phaedrus

#9: Post by Phaedrus »

Not to derail your thread, but I'm curious how you landed on the flat as your dream grinder. I've read all the conical vs flat threads and I've walked away from all of them with the same results: "they're both awesome" or "get both." I'm thinking about getting into single dosing and I'm leaning more towards the monolith conical simply because I think it looks cooler and it's a bit less expensive. Also because I see it as a bit simpler (no motor rpm as an additional variable to control for). If you can, please elaborate on how you came to your decision, I think it will be useful knowledge to memorialize on the forum.
Aguirre wrote:This is kinda funny.

My dream grinder (well, maybe that will change with the MAX) is the only one for which I can't find a video review anywhere.

Is it my poor searching techniques or is there some other mysterious reason for proud owners not videotaping their precious mono flats?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#10: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Phaedrus wrote:Not to derail your thread, but I'm curious how you landed on the flat as your dream grinder. I've read all the conical vs flat threads and I've walked away from all of them with the same results: "they're both awesome" or "get both." I'm thinking about getting into single dosing and I'm leaning more towards the monolith conical simply because I think it looks cooler and it's a bit less expensive. Also because I see it as a bit simpler (no motor rpm as an additional variable to control for). If you can, please elaborate on how you came to your decision, I think it will be useful knowledge to memorialize on the forum.
We felt the same. Part of our choice was how it looked and worked in our space. Hasn't arrived yet so can't show you that yet. Both appear to be awesome.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart