Site Scope: "Home Baristas"?

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
JR_Germantown

#1: Post by JR_Germantown »

I think most of us here are home baristas, as one might expect. ;) It seems we're dealing more and more frequently with explicitly commercial-use posts (for example: Choosing an Espresso Machine for Coffee Shop. The forum always responds helpfully, and nobody seems to mind that these topics seem out of place on a forum whose name implies that it is for "home baristas". Not to be impolite, but this seems like "noise" to me.

It's pretty common to see "scope creep" when a site gets popular and busy. I run a forum that has accepted "one-off" topics. But commercial use seems more fundamentally different to me. Is this a trend that needs some correction, or do we just accept it as the new normal?

Jack

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Even though the site is home-barista.com, there's always been some professional participation. It's dropped off over the years. I don't mind the occasional "commercial" type question since the site's membership includes a lot of very serious amateurs who can offer advice on subjects like cafe equipment. If it becomes common enough, I've already registered pro-barista.com. :lol:
Dan Kehn