Fuji Royal R-220 and Kalita Next G grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jacksen

#1: Post by Jacksen »

HI all i have recently bought a kalita next g grinder from japan however i find that it might not grind fine enough for V60 for light roasted beans i have to compensate by updosing it and it is certainly not suitable for aeropress. SO my question is does anyone on forum here have used/are you using fuji royal r220. Care to share your experiences whether it will grind fine enough for v60? Thank you very much in advance!

Coachiain

#2: Post by Coachiain »

Next G and R-220s are all competent grinders for V60, Franch press or Aeropress...
They should produce very good results.

I suspect that your particular Kalita the culprit if it is not handling V60 grinds well when it should.

Do you have a picture of the grinds from your Kalita Next G, preferably with some granulated sugar for reference.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#3: Post by orphanespresso »

The range on each of these grinders can be adjusted by removing the grind adjustment knob/cap and repositioning the knob to suit. They go all the way to burr touch as a beginning of the range on the fine end so you should be able to get there. They come from the factory set at a kind of coarse end range setting.

CwD

#4: Post by CwD »

My Jericho badged R-440 is still coarser than I'd go for Aeropress even with burrs touching. Probably even a bit coarse for the smallest v60 brews.

Almico

#5: Post by Almico »

I have the Fuji R220. I used it for a year at farmers markets making V60 pour overs.

I set mine as Doug suggested, by removing the knob and repositioning it so that at the 0 setting the burrs did not touch, but if I forced the knob to less than 0 it chirped.

With that set up I was setting it to 2 for V60s and 1 for Aeropress.

Mine has the ghost burrs.

orchidee

#6: Post by orchidee replying to Almico »

Have fine do you grind for V60? I'm very curious

Jacksen (original poster)

#7: Post by Jacksen (original poster) »

orphanespresso wrote:The range on each of these grinders can be adjusted by removing the grind adjustment knob/cap and repositioning the knob to suit. They go all the way to burr touch as a beginning of the range on the fine end so you should be able to get there. They come from the factory set at a kind of coarse end range setting.

Thanks so much Doug, I did not know about this i did as told and surprised how easy it was! my grind sizes are now perfect!

CoffeeAnatomy

#8: Post by CoffeeAnatomy »

I second that. Thanks for the advice Doug. I'm now getting much finer grind from my r-440.
Cheers Doug.

R2d294

#9: Post by R2d294 »

orphanespresso wrote:
The range on each of these grinders can be adjusted by removing the grind adjustment knob/cap and repositioning the knob to suit. They go all the way to burr touch as a beginning of the range on the fine end so you should be able to get there. They come from the factory set at a kind of coarse end range setting.

Jacksen wrote:Thanks so much Doug, I did not know about this i did as told and surprised how easy it was! my grind sizes are now perfect!
I'm a bit dense. What did you exactly do on Next G? Remove one phillips screw attaching cap to dial? Out of the box if I adjust to finest grind setting I still find it too course. I'd like to have even more fine grind

mavsman43

#10: Post by mavsman43 »

R2d294 wrote:I'm a bit dense. What did you exactly do on Next G? Remove one phillips screw attaching cap to dial? Out of the box if I adjust to finest grind setting I still find it too course. I'd like to have even more fine grind
Instructions via the Japanese manual:
Use screwdriver and remove the small screwfrom the front (small black screw on the dial you turn). Take off the front cap.

The. You'll see a white plastic cog looking thing. Turn on your grinder and use your hand to turn the white cog manually and adjust it finer and finer. Go until you can hear the burrs rubbing together, then go 1 click coarser. Now your burrs will be adjusted to where the finest setting is just a step above burr rub.