Faema Urania 1st series group

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Cheftakoshi

#1: Post by Cheftakoshi »

Hi all lever lover,
I recently have chance to take a "restored" :roll: Faema Urania , does anyone can tell if this is same Volex group by the pictures?
Since I'm new for this vintage beauty and one of the reason to take this was because it can be used gas as well as electricity ,however , looking into the base of the connect pipe I hardly tell how the gas operation to be operated and no luck to search at site for the manual as well. Does anyone operate the Urania by gas can share the experience?

Thanks in advance ,
Nice shot

Cheftakoshi (original poster)

#2: Post by Cheftakoshi (original poster) »

Paul_Pratt

#3: Post by Paul_Pratt »

2nd series group, not the velox, the groups are missing the side valves.

There is no way you should use the original gas burners, you will need to buy a new gas kit from somewhere.

#4: Post by Cheftakoshi (original poster) »

Thanks Paul,

Does the missing valve at the group affect me from pulling the proper shot or some problem by daily using for long term? Maybe silly question but I'm not going to start with it in a wrong way.

Have you had any idea where could I buy the new gas kit as well?

Thank you again ,

zeb

#5: Post by zeb »

I don't think the groups miss the valves, I already seen a lot of machine with only a fitting like this Paul ;)

Now you have it "restored" in Hong Kong Cheftakoshi you should perhaps better ask Paul for a Restoration :)

Seacoffee

#6: Post by Seacoffee »

Agreed. I know this seller and "restored" can mean the electrics are unsafe, boiler gaskets are eroded because of sandblasting the boiler, etc. The machine may well be worth the price, but do not turn it on without a full inspection.

Paul_Pratt

#7: Post by Paul_Pratt »

zeb wrote:I don't think the groups miss the valves, I already seen a lot of machine with only a fitting like this Paul ;)
I'm not convinced sorry :D The fittings on the side of the group look too modern, you can tell by the flat section which is a new fitting.

Seacoffee wrote:Agreed. I know this seller and "restored" can mean the electrics are unsafe, boiler gaskets are eroded because of sandblasting the boiler, etc. The machine may well be worth the price, but do not turn it on without a full inspection.
Now I recognise the garden. I bought a "restored" machine from him before. Sometimes people need to leave things alone.

zeb

#8: Post by zeb »

Paul_Pratt wrote:I'm not convinced sorry :D The fittings on the side of the group look too modern, you can tell by the flat section which is a new fitting.
Well I don't see too well on the picture, you must be right for this machine. But did you never seen these groups with only true original fitting instead of a valve ? I should have a look on my photo collection if I find some examples ;)

#9: Post by Cheftakoshi (original poster) »

Thanks all,

Hi Paul I have time to go through the Urania yesterday , and found that the side valve has actually a water pipe connected up the way to the boiler for both group , did you mean that the only valve at the conjunction is instead an original ?

I still yet dare to turn the machine on to avoid any disaster........