Macristay Black Pearl part II

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
bobroseman

#1: Post by bobroseman »

Nobody has posted anything about it in 10 years. I have received a couple of bags with a new equipment purchase. Any suggestions for times and temps? If not I'll stick with 18 gms 25 sec at 200F to start with.
Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation. ~Author Unknown

DrRoadrash

#2: Post by DrRoadrash »

It's been years but from what I recall its a pretty dark roast, at least a vienna. Dark flavors predominate. If you are used to city roasts it might be a bit bitter. I would back off on the temp a few degrees maybe 197-198 if it's not to your liking. It was fine in lattes but as a straight shot is darker than I personally like.

Advertisement
sluflyer06

#3: Post by sluflyer06 »

I tried a couple pounds of it about a year and a half ago, I couldn't wait to be done with it, for me it was just awful. Super super dark roast, lots of burnt roast flavors and not much else. It looks pretty with milk and makes a very coffee heavy flavored latte but I can't even imagine a shot of it and the smell of the spent pucks is off putting.

For just lattes, it should be fine, anything else I wouldn't go near it again.

bobroseman (original poster)

#4: Post by bobroseman (original poster) »

Thanks for the input. I'm using it mostly for lattes and dirty chai but the sips I've taken from a shot glass haven't been that bad.

LTHopper

#5: Post by LTHopper »

im using it and for milk drinks only. i have yet to produce the flavor they describe. im going to give them another chance (5lbs on their way). a

bobroseman (original poster)

#6: Post by bobroseman (original poster) replying to LTHopper »

Same here. As for flavor, I'll settle for "nice".