First Espresso Machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SteveY

#1: Post by SteveY »

Hi, I am looking at getting my first espresso machine and I am looking for some advice.
Currently I just bare coffee using my Bonavita 1900 and grind with a Bodum Bistro. The Bodum is slowing dying I fear so I will need a new grinder to replace it. I was looking at the Gaggia Classic but then seen some comparisons to the Breville Barista Express with the built in grinder. I can get the Breville right now for $20 cdn more than the Gaggia. From what I've read the Breville would be a great entry machine and I wouldn't need a separate grinder, though I still need to replace my Bodum, thinking a Baratza Encore for the drip. Any thoughts?

Thanks

klund

#2: Post by klund »

I think the general consensus is that the Barista Express is a decent entry level machine. You will probably get a consistently average espresso. Some questions:
  1. What quality are you hoping for? Average? Great? Attempting to get the best possible espresso you can make?
  2. Do you want simplicity, or do you want to take the time to learn to be skilled at making espresso?
  3. What is your budget?
From what I've read, the Barista Express is great for lots of people. Just want to make sure you're one of those people first!

Kevin

Advertisement
redbone

#3: Post by redbone »

Regarding your question on a P.O. or drip grinder and the Baratza Encore. Just a reminder that it has no timer feature. This will gradually annoy you.
Either go to the next level of Baratza or get a Capresso Infinity for the same price with timer.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

SteveY (original poster)

#4: Post by SteveY (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies.
Kevin, I think I will be happy with "average to great" while I learn, so for that I have gone with the Breville. I'm sure in a couple years I will want to move up and I will get a better machine and grinder, and I am fine with that.
redbone, thanks for the info on the Encore, and yes as I am used to having a timer I would miss that. How does the Capresso compare to the Virtuoso?

Thanks
Steve

redbone

#5: Post by redbone »

Rounded off Cda pricing.

Baratza Encore - $190
Baratza Virtuoso - $310
Capresso Infinity - $153
Capresso Infinity S.S. housing $250.00

Simialr conical burr size.
Baratza states burrs made in Taiwan
Capresso states burrs made in Switzerland.

Retention appears to be higher on the Capresso but I find that it's not as great of an issue with drip or P.O. coffee prep vs espresso.
Found the Infinity to perform better (more uniform grinds) with coarser grinds vs Encore. I never used a Virtuoso.

Capresso, Inc. was founded in 1994 to introduce the American consumer to high-end Euro-style coffeemakers.
In 2008, Jura AG Switzerland became the sole owner and parent of all U.S. Capresso and Jura Capresso operations.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

slipchuck

#6: Post by slipchuck »

I owned the Breville batista express and can say it makes fairly good shots. You are Canadian so I would check out idrinkcoffee as its on sale right now at an unbeatable price https://idrinkcoffee.com/collections/co ... hine-870xl
If for any reason it needs warranty work they pay return shipping.
The negative about this machine or I should say the weakest link is the grinder. Mine lasted a year and a half. I now how the Breville infuser with a separate grinder and haven't looked back.
Picked up a used infuser and bought a Bezzera BB005 from idrinkcoffee and am overall pretty satisfied :)
Like I said overall good beginner choice

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

tedlegrand

#7: Post by tedlegrand »

How about baratza sette 30 and ascaso basic
272$cdn for the basic (320$ -15% now)
https://www.creativecoffee.ca/Semi-Auto ... EAL-p1148/
288$ for the sette (339$ -15% now)
https://www.creativecoffee.ca/Electric- ... der-p6207/

Total 560$

I really love my sette 30, very consistent grind, super fluffy, no clump and even though there's less fine adjustment compared to the sette 270, it's good enough to fine tune the grind size and you can always upgrade the burr adjustments with the 270 adjustment later on.
The quality of the grind from the sette compared to the Breville is huge, and grinder is the most important part of the equipment.

I never tried the ascaso basic, but it has nice specs: 57mm basket, 3 way valve, quality thermocoil. At Seattle coffee Gear, Gail had difficulty to tell apart coffee from the machine and much higher quality machine.