Critique shot and help improve flavor - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
lancealot

#11: Post by lancealot »

^^^Listen to the bluesman ^^^

OK31
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by OK31 »

Paying attention this is a good thread. Will be getting the bdb in a week. Realized the infuser though a great machine is not ideal for someone who likes to experiment and strives for perfection. Question: everyone says from first drop start the count but the bdb does a 30sec shot timer from start of pump does it not? Or is that just the full shot length and it doesn't cut at 30?

klund

#13: Post by klund »

The BDB starts its timer when you hit the button. So the shot timer will include pre-infusion. My setup is fairly consistent, so first drop is around 10-12 seconds. Then I'm looking for my desired extraction to finish around 35 seconds. As many people state, time seems to be the least important factor.

Have fun with the machine!

Kevin

Bret

#14: Post by Bret »

I've found that I don't need preinfusion with roasts like Malabar Gold. But yes, the higher temp, finer grind suggested by Josuma really seem to be the best result. You might try skipping the preinfusion, see if you can taste a difference or not.

BDB and Josuma Malabar Gold is a great combination :-)

klund

#15: Post by klund »

Bret wrote:I've found that I don't need preinfusion with roasts like Malabar Gold.
What do you have your pre-infusion set at? (Or is it off?)

Kevin

Bret

#16: Post by Bret replying to klund »

It is set to off now. I can press/hold the manual button for it, but I don't anymore. But that is mainly because of the roasts I prefer. I did spend quite a bit of time a year or more ago when I coined the CNAS acronym, using the BDB preinfusion in a 'Certainly Not A Slayer' emulation. I've not done the hot water switch mod so that one can pressure profile during the pull, though.

For me, it seemed like the preinfusion added value when using lighter, denser third wave roasts which, it turns out, are just not my thing. I was going to say not my cup of tea, but some of those roasts taste more like tea than coffee to me :-)

Every once in a while on a whim I'll try a preinfusion-to-first-drip, but I haven't noticed anything significantly different in the cup.

Maybe if I can ever get consistent at latte' art, I reapply myself to preinfusion/pressure profiling experimentation. :-)

OK31
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by OK31 »

klund wrote:The BDB starts its timer when you hit the button. So the shot timer will include pre-infusion. My setup is fairly consistent, so first drop is around 10-12 seconds. Then I'm looking for my desired extraction to finish around 35 seconds. As many people state, time seems to be the least important factor.

Have fun with the machine!

Kevin
So having been at it for the past 3 months I'm revisiting my pulling technique and had a revelation. Thus far I've been pushing the double shot button on the infuser and timing until it stops on its own and trying to get the weight and grind and tamp to make the machine time at 30seconds. Slowly realizing the desired in/out volume/weight in the advised 30sec time cannot be achieved consistently if at all by just pushing and praying. Have I been a fool all along thinking I can do this? Should I have in fact been weighing my shots to the desired ratio and working to get the timing based on that?

slipchuck

#18: Post by slipchuck replying to OK31 »

Instead of this I hit the set button then the double shot button. When I get the proper weight of the dose, I hit the double button to stop it. Saves tons of headaches

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

OK31
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by OK31 replying to slipchuck »

So I've been doing it "wrong" all along and making myself crazy? Is it in fact possible to wwhave the machine do this right? And based on previous not I should just count the shot from first drop then? Peru fusion seems to throw it all off ?

slipchuck

#20: Post by slipchuck replying to OK31 »

I count from when the drops hit the cup that way I don't have to worry about how long the preinfusin is.
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”