Faema Urania - Is this thing beautiful, or what? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Tonefish (original poster)

#11: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

Sounds like it may be too good to be true. $800 just to check it out and then another $800 if it doesn't work out is a big risk. Seems local would be ideal but if they don't respond it sounds a bit sketchy. Looks to be a beauty tho.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

grog

#12: Post by grog »

I wouldn't have any concerns about Thjis' workmanship. I suspect the machine has truly been beautifully restored and is sound working order. The challenge is getting in touch with him and keeping an ongoing line of communication.
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#13: Post by Marcelnl »

I tend to agree with you on that, I have little doubt about the condition of the machine...
LMWDP #483

barneyfife

#14: Post by barneyfife »

The shipping is ridiculous.

bill
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by bill replying to barneyfife »

Not really! I priced a 2' square crate weighing 75# from the Netherlands to Texas using FedEx Economy International and it was over $800.
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!

zeb

#16: Post by zeb »

My opinion is that it is a false sale only there to advertise for free on his activity.

An Urania like this would sell at least 4000€ if everything was ok...

drgary
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary »

Pascal, that's a strong opinion! :wink: Isn't that machine covered by eBay buyer protection for a business that has 100% positive ratings? What are the risks? I've seen it on the vendor's site for months now. Maybe he needs some cash flow, and from what I've seen the prices of vintage machines is down over the last half year at least.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#18: Post by Marcelnl »

The thought of a fake ad to draw attention also crossed my mind when initially seeing the price but one of the pictures showed what seemed to be some wrinkles in the side of the case which I imagined might explain the relatively low price (wbeware of the VAT which adds 21%)

For sureis that he is not responding to me after the initial email saying it was conditionally sold, it stayed online for weeks thereafter so I asked him if it still was for sale or that he should take it offline. The response was the sale fell through so I offered him to drive over and pick it up like two three months ago, after a while I got a message he had some family issues so I let him know that I'd patiently wait until he is ready.

He knew I'm seriously interested, and did not get in touch to discuss selling after the initial sale fell through, he did not respond to my emails letting me know I'm seriously interested and asking him to get in touch when he is ready....and now suddenly it's back online and he still does not respond.
LMWDP #483

AssafL

#19: Post by AssafL »

redbone wrote: I don't believe money should be make on the shipping fee and see this as unscrupulous. Ebay agrees and mentions this in their policy but seldom if ever do anything about it.
In defence shipping from the Netherlands is expensive since I believe all postal companies are privately owned their, but $800 does seem over the top.
Shipping costs. Crating costs. Getting a driver to drive to the post office costs. It may surprise you that even shipping insurance costs. They all make a profit. And the business owner who chooses the right packaging and shippers and ensures that you get the product in good shape.

What I think is 100% unscrupulous is to send a perfectly good product that arrives broken. Charge me more if you must but get it to me intact.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

drgary
Team HB

#20: Post by drgary »

Marcelnl wrote:The thought of a fake ad to draw attention also crossed my mind when initially seeing the price but one of the pictures showed what seemed to be some wrinkles in the side of the case which I imagined might explain the relatively low price (wbeware of the VAT which adds 21%)

For sureis that he is not responding to me after the initial email saying it was conditionally sold, it stayed online for weeks thereafter so I asked him if it still was for sale or that he should take it offline. The response was the sale fell through so I offered him to drive over and pick it up like two three months ago, after a while I got a message he had some family issues so I let him know that I'd patiently wait until he is ready.

He knew I'm seriously interested, and did not get in touch to discuss selling after the initial sale fell through, he did not respond to my emails letting me know I'm seriously interested and asking him to get in touch when he is ready....and now suddenly it's back online and he still does not respond.
So I guess the test is to write and ask shipping price through eBay for local pickup, then if there is no response or you are told it is sold, you can report to eBay? That would take a suspicious listing down.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!