Profitec Pro 300 or La Spaziale S1 Mini

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
lele0108

#1: Post by lele0108 »

Currently looking to buy a new espresso machine for home use. Will be using by myself, one espresso and one latte/cappuccino a day. Smaller footprint would be better since I live with limited counter space.

I would prefer a dual-boiler machine. The current choices I have narrowed down are:

- Profitec Pro 300 ($1550)
- La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi Mini (~$1500 open box)

Since these two machines cost about the same and offer similar functionality, which one would be a better fit for me? Things that are important to me:

1. Espresso quality and reproducibility
2. Ease of Use (with proper instruction)

Edit: Mention that I will be using a Baratza Sette 270 grinder and sourcing beans from quality "3rd wave" roasters

Thank you for the advice!

pix530

#2: Post by pix530 »

I was looking at both and in spite I like mini look by a lot, I decided not to go with it - 2 reasons - very long warm up (which is important for me, you might deal with it np) and people complains (yes, many negative reviews).

Pro300 is great machine for me, simple reason is - small boilers, so fast warm up time.

All machines are easy to use. And I highly doubt you will be able to find quality difference if done with same water, grinds and grinder.

RobertL

#3: Post by RobertL »

I looked at both of these machines recently and ended up with the Profitec 300. Although not the most attractive machine the Profitec build quality is great. The quick warm up time is nice if I decide to have a drink in the afternoon or evening. The steam power isn't the greatest but it gets the job done. I've never had the steam pressure drop below 1.2 bars while steaming. I also have a Sette for espresso grinding and I think it pairs nicely with the Profitec.

Coastie44

#4: Post by Coastie44 »

I love my Pro 300! Great choice. :-)

pix530

#5: Post by pix530 »

How long it takes to warm up?
Any disadvantages that u aware of?

I don't know any other machines with small boiler and similar warm up time

lele0108 (original poster)

#6: Post by lele0108 (original poster) »

Thanks y'all -- pretty set on the Profitec now.

Question -- I keep on reading different things on getting "cafe" level espresso. (I live in SF Bay Area so like Blue Bottle / Ritual / Sightglass etc.). I've read that without pressure-profiling ($$$$$) it is not possible. I've also read it's possible on a Gaggia Classic.

Is this machine, with proper practice, training, and patience, able to give "cafe" level espresso consistently and without a ton of hoops after the learning period? I've been doing a lot of research on pulling shots and will put in the effort to learn.

stahlee

#7: Post by stahlee »

pix530 wrote:How long it takes to warm up?
Any disadvantages that u aware of?

I don't know any other machines with small boiler and similar warm up time
I had a Mini for several years prior to my GS3 and it was fantastic. Only took 20-30 minutes to warm up. Larger boilers are to your advantage. It's great machine.

cerone

#8: Post by cerone »

lele0108 wrote:Thanks y'all -- pretty set on the Profitec now.

Question -- I keep on reading different things on getting "cafe" level espresso. (I live in SF Bay Area so like Blue Bottle / Ritual / Sightglass etc.). I've read that without pressure-profiling ($$$$$) it is not possible. I've also read it's possible on a Gaggia Classic.

Is this machine, with proper practice, training, and patience, able to give "cafe" level espresso consistently and without a ton of hoops after the learning period? I've been doing a lot of research on pulling shots and will put in the effort to learn.
The P300 is an extremely capable espresso machine. I think you will be very happy with the shots that come from it paired with a Sette 270. If you wanted to take it to the next level I think your money would be best spent on a fantastic grinder like a Monolith or EG-1.

As someone who recently dove in head first into espresso, I'd just like to offer one piece of advice. Find a reputable roaster and buy a solid espresso blend that sounds like something you would like. Then practice with that bean for at least 4-5 bags. I was too eager to keep trying new coffees and I found that once I settled in on one bean and really worked at it my results improved dramatically.

Keep your dosage the same, keep the bean the same, play with grind size and brew time until you get it dialed in just right. Check out the espresso coffee compass to guide you along the way.

I've had my M58 since this summer and I still get giddy to pull my shots every day.