Ceado E37S now that it costs the same as Mahlkonig K30?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gig103

#1: Post by Gig103 »

I go through phases where I want to upgrade my grinder from a Baratza Vario. Last time was a few years ago and for a flat burr in my budget it was the E37S, or a stretch to the K30. Forum wisdom at the time was that the Ceado was amazing "for the price" which implies to me that it wasn't ultimately as good. In my heart I wanted the K30 for the reputation but ultimately bought neither.

Fast forward to now and my eyes are wandering again. But to my surprise my budget and stretch options are now the same price!

So the question for the forum is - what about the E37S makes it a K30 competitor, that I missed last time? Or is Ceado fooling themselves?

wai2cool4u

#2: Post by wai2cool4u »

there's a used e37s in the for sale forum if you're interested. [FS] Ceado E37S

F1

#3: Post by F1 »

I have a K30 and a Super Jolly E. The Super Jolly makes a lot of clumps, but if I WDT the clumps the resulting extraction tastes the same on the K30 and the Super Jolly. This makes me believe that the E37S and K30 will produce identical results.

TreCime

#4: Post by TreCime »

Although it can be difficult to truly measure-especially if you don't plan to single dose-I think retention between the two grinders might be the factor tipping the scale one way or the other. I feel lucky to have picked up the e37s just before the price hike (but still with the useful portafilter holder), and not only have the results been great, but it's just fun to use. I imagine the K30 would be as well.

slipchuck

#5: Post by slipchuck »

I would go with the Ceado personally. The used one looks like a great deal

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

AustinBill

#6: Post by AustinBill »

Recently switched from a Vario to E37s, I frequently change beans from dark espresso roasts to light SO roasts. Since changing grinders I can adjust the grind much better and quicker, saving lots of coffee. Even better the coffee is sweeter.

newrevolution123

#7: Post by newrevolution123 »

Have you ever considered any Compak Grinders!?
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

brianl

#8: Post by brianl »

I have had the E37s for around 2 years now and it's still flawless. For the price, I would probably go for one of the monoliths as I still think the K30 is overpriced. With the Ceado, atleast you get the larger burrs. I don't want to get into the whole "the k30 punches above its burr class as that is all relative". I just know the bigger Ceado burrs make dialing in a lot easier than other grinders i've used.

JayBeck

#9: Post by JayBeck replying to brianl »

I have a Sette and was prepared to buy a Monolith but it's a Gamble and really a unicorn at this point. I'm moving on. I feel like the only grinder upgrade over a Sette is to go to a Ceado E37S or a Monolith. $1700 is a lot of money (does the espresso taste that much better? Really?) and I hear it's hard to adjust for other brew methods. I wanted a Monolith because you can go back and forth quickly like the Sette.

You used your Ceado for non espresso or is it a PITA?

PS: I would never get a K30 - so ugly!

pix530

#10: Post by pix530 »

K30 is best home grinder. Unless it's single dose.
That's what I learned so far.

Price is huge. I m not sure 1750usd is worth the money.
Can't convince myself I need it. But don't want to upgrade.