Quest M3 - late first crack - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
dale_cooper

#11: Post by dale_cooper »

EddyQ wrote:Yup, there sure are other ways to produce the desired ramp. I have had many fine roasts by cranking heat at TP. :D
What is your RoR at dry ? And what is your RoR when you're going into first crack. The only reason I do this is because I couldn't get sufficient energy otherwise. Very curious, thanks!

EddyQ

#12: Post by EddyQ »

The absolute fastest I ever roasted with my Quest (and certainly far from my normal roast) is shown on the profile I posted here: Help Characterizing a New Coffee

The other extreme would be one of my Brazil roasts. For instance, I charged a 227gm batch at 360F. Prior to charge, my heat was set to 230W and was there for quite a while. I cranked the heat to 1100W at charge, but the drum did most the heating for the next two minutes. The turning point was a low 144F and rebound up to 200F in about 2:30. At 200F, the RoR was maybe 34 deg/min and was now being effected by the 1100W. All this time, my fan was maybe 20%. When BT hit 300F, I dropped the heat to 800W, fan increase to 50%. The RoR at and of dry (325F, 7min) was 20deg/min. The roast RoR steadily dropped. FC started at 11min with a RoR of 11deg/min. I dropped heat a but more and maxed the fan. The RoR declined a bit more with some wiggles, but no crash to end the roast at 14:30min with RoR of maybe 5. 434F BT and I guess 2C was about to begin.

Other roasts are between these two. I've have very yummy coffee (pulled shots from my La Pavoni) from some El Salvador and Sumatra beans where I drop at 425F in 12min.

I don't consider myself very experience roaster and only owned my Quest since May. I did analyze the heck out of techniques to achieve textbook ramps thru the first minute or so and up to the end of drying. So, I think my measurements with my Quest are reasonable and that the electric heat does take 2-3 minute to really pour on heat when applied to do so. Planning the roast accordingly then makes some crazy ramp speeds possible.

I do not have a MET probe and my ET probe is bent to measure air exiting into the chute. So it really is a exhaust probe.
But my BT probe is in stock BT location and I bought the probe from Shrub with the Quest. I was really surprised that crazy fast profile did not produce some seriously scorched/tipped beans. But it didn't. That said, I have had ashy tastes with those Brazil beans if I tried to ramp up too quick. SO, I am learning the limitations of this roaster and it is a heck of a lot better than the heat gun/dog bowl roaster it replaced!

Hope this all helps. Feel free to fire me more questions. And let me know how things go.
LMWDP #671

dale_cooper

#13: Post by dale_cooper »

Hmm - so I just did 2 batches of the same bean, the second roast hit 309 at 4:15 (wow). I still don't fully understand how to be accurate with the 2nd roast while the beans are in the cooling tray. The "met" (and maybe BT too) is wildly inaccurate during that time....

FIrst roast - Charged at 390, turning point at 200 (at 1:25 like normal). Time to 309 was 5:55, hit FC at 9:19.

Second roast - Charged at 400, turning point at 233 and 1:12! That's the highest turning point temp I've had on the quest. My MET at charge was like 560 (cooling door open), and I kept heat on around 7.5a. I removed the beans from the first batch and closed the door while the 2nd batch was charged, prolly :45 seconds in. The higher turning point made the time to dry very quick, but I lost energy at 3:30 and my ror dropped to like 21 (so I turned up heat). Still, got to FC at 8:00 because I kept the heat on; started tapering heat slightly at like 6:30. Weird roast - never had one that fast but I typically never have that high of temp at TP.

Curious what BT you all are charging at vs BT at TP?

dale_cooper

#14: Post by dale_cooper »

The profiles for these 2 (the 2nd roast was so weird - should be an interesting experiment). Even the first had a slow start, normally BT ror is more front loaded and doesn't ascend as much (3rd pic is more typical, maybe a bit more energy during FC