Profitec 800 group issue - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bettysnephew

#11: Post by bettysnephew »

I might be wrong regarding the smaller hex screws but typically they would be "righty/tighty-lefty/loosy" . In my 40+ years in industrial maintenance I do not recall seeing any non rotational screws with left hand threads. But, there is always the exception... Go gently anti clockwise to try to loosen first.
The upper larger bolts however could be counter threaded but if there is a left hand thread it would likely be on one side only. This is often done to prevent loosening of the bolt when the rotational stress is at its' highest. If that is the case it is most likely the one on the left side as you are facing the machine as the rotational torque would be highest when the handle is being drawn down to compress the spring.
Regarding the rubbing of the handle mounting carrier, my assumption would be there should be some centering shims or washers on both sides to keep the part from rubbing the inside of the support casting. This is from a fellow that does not yet own a lever but it would just be good mechanical construction to do it in that manner.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Paul_Pratt

#12: Post by Paul_Pratt »

One of the large side nuts is a lefty. Clockwise to undo.

The 4 on the underside are regular anti-clockwise to unscrew. Looks like you are lucky and that they are not all wonky and cross-threaded :D

Advertisement
pcdawson (original poster)

#13: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

Thanks Paul - did you look at those photos I posted of the group and that uneven gap? I know you've seen a lot of lever groups in your time - is this kind of thing common? - Pete

naked-portafilter

#14: Post by naked-portafilter »

I have different gaps also (slightly bigger on the right side) but nothing significant (I haven't even noticed, just now).

On (your) right side is the bolt clockwise to undo (last picture)

#15: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

Thanks! If you look at my photo, you can see that there is practically no gap at all on the left. On yours, I can definitely see a gap on both sides, even if it is uneven. The funny thing is, I haven't noticed the movent of the lever being affected. In other words, there is no "chuddering" or skipping as one might expect if friction was occurring. However, there seems to be some contact occurring because the chrome has been rubbed off the side of the cam (see photo ). Do you think this is a manufacturer in defect, or damage that might have occurred during shipping?

Pete

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by JohnB. »

I measured the gaps (at the top) on each side of the lever arm mount on my Sorrento this morning. .016 (.406mm) on one side & .015 (.381) on the other.

Gabor - If you measure the gaps (at the top) on either side with feeler gauges what's the total amount of free space around that lever mount/pivot on your group? Looking at the photos it certainly looks like either there is more space between the 2 uprights or that lever mount is narrower on the 800 group compared to my Bosco. Of course it could just be the photos??
LMWDP 267

#17: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

I managed to slightly increase the gap on the left by loosening the left hex bolt. I can now get a piece of paper into the gap and move it back and forth. However the hex bolt on the right (where the gap is largest) is quite tight and squeaky, which suggests to me that something is out of alignment. Not sure how this could have occurred.

Advertisement

#18: Post by pcdawson (original poster) »

Should both the left and right hex nuts turn clockwise to loosen/undo, or just the right one? On mine, both left and right hex bolts loosen in the clockwise direction. From reading some of these responses, it sounds like the two hex bolts loosen in opposite directions.

naked-portafilter

#19: Post by naked-portafilter »

On the left side is the bolt counter clockwise to undo.

"Do you think this is a manufacturer in defect, or damage that might have occurred during shipping?"

Sorry. No idea. I would contact the distributor with this problem. A short video would be helpful.

bettysnephew

#20: Post by bettysnephew »

pcdawson wrote:Should both the left and right hex nuts turn clockwise to loosen/undo, or just the right one? On mine, both left and right hex bolts loosen in the clockwise direction. From reading some of these responses, it sounds like the two hex bolts loosen in opposite directions.
My answer earlier had to do with my past experience in industrial maintenance, not espresso machines. however I really do not see any logical need for both of the bolts to be left hand threading but apparently that may be what you have. Paul Pratt also noted that on his unit one bolt was L H thread and the other was RH which is the more common way of typically executing this when there is the possibility of a bolt coming lose due to the direction of load imparted. Your case is unusual but certainly possible I guess.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586