Coffee loader - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
csanadymiklos (original poster)

#21: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) »

bakafish wrote:How about a dome lid for the loader? Shaking the basket will sieve out some fines. Some of them stick on the outside of the basket and fall into the cup with espresso. I'd like to shake the loader.
Alright, I'll print one tonight.

Spitz.me

#22: Post by Spitz.me »

I love this. Dome or not, can you make the schematic available to others with access to a 3D printer?
LMWDP #670

#23: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) replying to Spitz.me »

to be completely honest, I am seriously considering to develop this to a real product, therefore I would not feel comfortable sharing the design publicly. But I'm happy to share individually, just pm me.

#24: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) »

csanadymiklos wrote:Alright, I'll print one tonight.
So there it is. As I see it, the shaking did't really help. It seems to be a better idea to put the dome on the filter.

bakafish

#25: Post by bakafish »

csanadymiklos wrote: So there it is. As I see it, the shaking did't really help. It seems to be a better idea to put the dome on the filter.
I don't think it didn't help. The result should be checked by pulling a shot with a bottomless portafilter. Shaking the loader makes the coffee grinds not fluffy and has some residual grinds in the loader so it looks a little messy. If you use anodized aluminum to make the loader, it should be much better. Fluffy grinds cannot assure a good extraction, but shaking can. In my experience, there sometimes had channeling with WDT, but almost no channeling with shaking.

#26: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) replying to bakafish »

Well, after shaking, when I pour the grounds into the filter, I still need to distribute the grounds. In my opinion, the shaking is more useful in the filter basket, than in the loader. It wouldn't be easy to test this, as I wouldn't tamp the grounds without at least shaking them to an even level, in the basket.
This is what my second invention is going to be about, ;) distributing the grounds in the filter basket. I'll show it in the next couple of days. Stay tuned. :)

bakafish

#27: Post by bakafish »

csanadymiklos wrote:Well, after shaking, when I pour the grounds into the filter, I still need to distribute the grounds.
Yes, but I prefer to shake the loader than basket because there are not fines be sieved out and spread on the desktop, and no fines stick under the basket so that less fines in the cup.

For a WDT needed grinder, after WDT, there also some fines be sieved out like shaking the basket, and need to distribute the grounds as shaking the loader. I am looking for a loader which is also the shaker and tried Lyn Weber Blind Shaker, but I don't like it because of the plug. Sometimes I accidentally hit the plug and spread the grounds, and it always "ding ding ding" when use, like this video:

#28: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) »

Alright, dear friends, I decided to develop this to a product. And I guess I'll also make a dome lid, the only question is, whether to size it for the basket, or for the loader. I already know bakafish's opinion, what do the rest of you think?
I'll keep you updated with the progress. Wish me luck! :)

sweaner

#29: Post by sweaner »

Why not size it to fit both?
Scott
LMWDP #248

#30: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) replying to sweaner »

The diameter of the top hemisphere is bigger, than the diameter of the basket. This way it's easier to use the loader with a grinder.
If I wanted to fit both, I would have to make an edge, that has the smaller diameter, and this way the grounds would get stuck on this, when shaking.