Coffee loader

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
csanadymiklos

#1: Post by csanadymiklos »

My dear fellow home baristas,

I have been reading the forums for a long time now, and I got a lot of advice from you on my journey to the perfect espresso. As an engineer, I am constantly thinking about ways to improve consistency, and tools to make measuring and grounds distribution more practical and efficient. There are some inventions I would like to share with You.
The first one is my coffee loader. It prove useful measuring coffee before and after grinding, and also making less mess when loading the grounds into the filter.

The thing is 3d printed, so of course the layers retain a little grounds, but otherwise it seems to work fine. Enjoy :)

Espresso_Junky

#2: Post by Espresso_Junky »

That's pretty awesome... thanks for sharing!

Jared

#3: Post by Jared »

Very cool!

YDandA

#4: Post by YDandA »

Naw... Now that's cool!

Can't wait to see your next invention.
Regards,
Jon
Yard Dog & Ass./ManCaveCoffee

csanadymiklos (original poster)

#5: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) »

Actually, I was thinking about adding a lid to the design, so the grounds can be shaken in the container. But then again, I realized, that I can shake the portafilter (after loading the grounds), holding the loader on the top, and shaking the grounds in the portafilter obviously leads to a better distribution.
(and actually, creating a lid just for the filter, to make shaking possible, could also be a way to get an even distribution)
What do you think?

Jared

#6: Post by Jared replying to csanadymiklos »

Is it stable enough when placed on the portafilter that will allow shaking (while holding it) without it popping off causing a mess?

#7: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) replying to Jared »

I have to hold it in place, so it takes two hands, but it never popped off. I'll make a short video on that.

#8: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) »

So this is the way I'm using it now.
Actually, your comment gave me a simple idea: I'm printing the lid, and will try to put it on the filter for shaking. :)

JR_Germantown

#9: Post by JR_Germantown »

csanadymiklos wrote:...and shaking the grounds in the portafilter obviously leads to a better distribution.
Is that an assumption, or have you tested that? My experience varies.

Jack

#10: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) replying to JR_Germantown »

My experience varies, too. What I am talking about is, when the grounds are pushed on one side of the portafilter after loading, the heavy shaking helps to even it out. (and the Loader helps not to make a mess :D ) Depending on the surface quality of the grounds, I use wdt, or just small hits on the portafilter sides.

I am actually already printing The Lid, I'll make a video to see if it works.

Further to this, my experience is, that shaking and hitting can lead to building of crumbs, in an otherwise fine looking untamped puck.