Problems with used Breville Smart Grinder Pro - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Espresso_Junky

#21: Post by Espresso_Junky »

I've never used a SGP, but is it possible that maybe the lower burr has been shimmed to grind TOO fine and prevent feeding?

To the OP... it's hard to tell from the video, but is the 'whirring' sound more from the grinding process/gearbox or possibly metal-metal contact via the burrs?

HH

#22: Post by HH »

My SGP makes that noise when there are no beans between the burrs. I'm not 100% sure about this but it seems like not enough of the beans are getting between the burrs - what setting is the upper burr set to? It may be just that it is set too low. Try increasing it (say up to 6-8) and see whether this helps.

Bret

#23: Post by Bret »

I've got a hunch that the burrs are not installed correctly. A quick photo will really help confirm or deny the hunch :-)

bongag (original poster)

#24: Post by bongag (original poster) »

Here are the pictures..

bongag (original poster)

#25: Post by bongag (original poster) »

Bret

#26: Post by Bret »

Okay, check page 19 of the pdf manual (link below) to make sure that the burr has not been set to the finest setting, possibly preventing beans from being able to enter the grinder. If it is still at default settings, try adjusting it coarser. Since you were having to set an external size of 50 to get any grinding, I think this may have been changed along the way somewhere to too fine an internal setting. I'd maybe just move the internal setting to maximum coarse first, to see if that changes things (if not, there is some other problem). But if it works, then you can go back to default (not maximum fine) and you should be in a good working range that supports both drip coffee and espresso.

http://www.shic.com.hk/files/images/1_2 ... n626PC.pdf

bongag (original poster)

#27: Post by bongag (original poster) replying to Bret »

Thanks for the inputs. In the picture grind settings is at 60..

Grinding from 60, coarse grinds comes out. While grinding i turn knob from 60 to 50, very few grinds comes out until turning below 50 almost nothing and below 40 nothing at all.
No fine grinds come out. Just the coarsest.

HH

#28: Post by HH »

I (and I think Brett) was referring to the upper burr setting being too fine rather than the setting on the front of the machine. Try setting the upper burr to a coarser setting and see what difference it makes.

bongag (original poster)

#29: Post by bongag (original poster) replying to HH »

i tried number 1 and number 10. same as above, now i turn back to number 6

HH

#30: Post by HH »

bongag wrote:i tried number 1 and number 10. same as above, now i turn back to number 6
Hmm. I'm rapidly getting out of my depth here but it seems it's most likely to be the bottom burr being incorrectly installed. I haven't touched the bottom burr in my SGP but perhaps someone else here will have done and can let you know if this sounds like it might be the problem and how to fix it.