Weakest link: Breville Barista Express vs. Bezzera BB005 grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
slipchuck

#1: Post by slipchuck »

I have this setup and for the most part I really like it but can't quite get to the quality of taste that I experienced in Portugal. It definitely is way better than Starbucks but just not European quality. By far the best drinks were from LaCimbal Machines. I drink 90% milk based drinks
I am going to take an upgrade path but it can only be one of the two. Is the Breville holding me back? The Bezzera BB005 really upped the taste in the cup and am really happy with it... but reading how the grinder is the most important thing to upgrade would upgrading to a better grinder leave me with the Breville as the weakest link?

Hope this all makes sense!
Ps the upgrade is quite a ways away but one can dream :)

Thanks

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

slipchuck (original poster)

#2: Post by slipchuck (original poster) »

Another Breville topic shot down in flames! LOL :)

Advertisement
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

Another Breville topic shot down in flames! LOL
Huh? I don't see any posts shooting anything down. In any case, the Barista Express is already your weakest link, especially since you upgraded the grinder. I've owned several Breville Baristas. When they were working they made decent espresso...not great, but drinkable. One simply cannot compare it to a La Cimbali, even the Junior...not even close. The BB005 is a credible grinder for a low to mid end espresso machine. It's at least as good as a Rocky in terms of being solid. Most users give it 4 out of 5 stars for performance in the cup. If it were me, I'd change the Breville for an HX and never look back...but that's just me.

slipchuck (original poster)

#4: Post by slipchuck (original poster) replying to Nunas »

Thanks very much for the help!
I just noticed that Breville doesn't get a lot of respect from a lot of members hence the bad joke :)
I do want to get an HX machine... was thinking about a Bezzera

Randy

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

No worries. The Brevilles have a bad reputation for longevity, which I can bear out. They also have a bad rep re availability of parts, which I've also experienced. On the other had, in Canada at least, their warranty service is very good. They once exchanged an unrepairable BE I had for a new one even though warranty was well over. They now have some higher end machines, such as the double boiler, which enjoy a fairly large and devoted following on these pages. IMHO, you get a lot of bells and whistles on a Breville, such as timed shots...but you already know that from your Barista. Most of the low to mid range HX machines are rather bare bones in comparison. You pays your money you takes your chance!