Anyone have experience with the Buckeye BC-1 (BC-300) Roaster?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Tonefish

#1: Post by Tonefish »

Hello fellow roasters! Anyone have and use the Buckeye BC-300 (BC-1 today)? What do you think of it? Any difficulties/pains or problems? What's the ideal charge size for this one (100g-450g capacity)? Is the maintenance reasonable (can you get to everything you need to)? Would you see an advantage to the new damper? Is the BT-only good enough or would you want the ET too? Do you miss not having drum speed control (or have you figured out a way to add it)?

If you've got hands-on with this one I'd really appreciate hearing about ti.

Happy Roasts!!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

bradenl123

#2: Post by bradenl123 »

I'd like to hear some feedback too! Talking with Randy this seems to be comparable to the TJ-066 and a possible upgrade from the Huky or skip-over. I believe with Phidgets + Shipping + LPG regulator & 5' pro-crimped line the new 2018 version is 3310$. I know Steve and Randy are both great for customer service. I just haven't heard anything aside from Keno's post about his BC600 and briefly reviewing the BC300. I think they are so comparable that whichever one someone gets they would be happy but it would be nice, like tonefish said, to have some hands on BC300 review.

Braden

Balthazar_B

#3: Post by Balthazar_B »

You guys should get in touch with Archipelago, or better yet, reply to his recent BC-300 post just a couple of threads below this one:
Mill City vs Buckeye BC Roasters
- John

LMWDP # 577

archipelago

#4: Post by archipelago »

Yep, as noted, I have a BC-300 and use it in a commercial setting (as a profile roaster and occasional sample roaster).

Tonefish (original poster)

#5: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

Balthazar_B wrote:You guys should get in touch with Archipelago, or better yet, reply to his recent BC-300 post just a couple of threads below this one:
Mill City vs Buckeye BC Roasters
Thanks John! Yes, I've appreciated the other threads. That one thread was comparing to Mill City so I didn't want to get too far off topic.

#6: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

archipelago wrote:Yep, as noted, I have a BC-300 and use it in a commercial setting (as a profile roaster and occasional sample roaster).
Christopher, How are you liking your BC-300? Do you still not miss the drum speed control? How about the BT thermocouple placement, did you modify it or find the stock one sufficient? Any other comments about your BC-300? Thank You!!

Balthazar_B

#7: Post by Balthazar_B »

Tonefish wrote:Thanks John! Yes, I've appreciated the other threads. That one thread was comparing to Mill City so I didn't want to get too far off topic.
You ought to consider flying in to Phoenix to see (and maybe play with) the machine(s) you're considering first hand. Randy's about an hour away from Sky Harbor. I don't think I'd go much beyond the musing stage with a roaster requiring such funds and commitment without laying my hands on it and looking in the eye the guy selling and supporting it.
- John

LMWDP # 577

#8: Post by Tonefish (original poster) replying to Balthazar_B »

Already planned. Thanks John!

archipelago

#9: Post by archipelago »

Tonefish wrote:Christopher, How are you liking your BC-300? Do you still not miss the drum speed control? How about the BT thermocouple placement, did you modify it or find the stock one sufficient? Any other comments about your BC-300? Thank You!!
Hey Jim! Yep, I added a smaller BT probe in the door and one for exhaust temp. The stock one reads low and slow - and really doesn't sit well in the bean mass (too high up and i think 5mm vs 3mm or smaller). You can ask to have it moved when you order..I recommend that. Smaller probe and better placement in the bean mass means I get better data between batch sizes. I also like using a Phidget 1048 rather than the built-in interface - it reads way faster.

I don't miss the drum speed control. I find it works well and it's direct drive which means low maintenance. I roast 100-300g on it but it can probably handle more.

It's easy to work on and a very reliable and capable machine.

#10: Post by Tonefish (original poster) replying to archipelago »

Thanks Christopher! I really appreciate it. Do you by chance have any information on the probe you added?