Next up: Mr. Espresso Organic Neapolitan

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Balthazar_B

#1: Post by Balthazar_B »

Just picked up a couple of pounds of this to check out while I'm cozying up to my new Monolith Conical.

I've got a bit of Caffe Lusso Gran Miscela Carmo left, but I've been curious about this coffee since Tom Chips mentioned the non-organic version of this in another thread. About 3 decades back, I drank LOTS of Mr. Espresso brew, leaving plenty of fond memories. So I'm definitely game for seeing what they're up to these days. Will post back with impressions over the next few days.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#2: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

Initial tasting notes on this coffee.

For reference, here are the parameters I'm using right now:
  1. 15g in a VST 15g basket, 30g out
  2. Monolith Conical grinder (on 4.5, FWIW)
  3. Bosco Sorrento; the machine ships adjusted at boiler pressure of 1.4 bar, so should be yielding a comparatively hot shot (no Scace handy, though, so can't definitively measure it). I haven't adjusted it downward yet...one variable at a time...but curiously not a problem with the coffees I've pulled so far.
  4. 7 sec preinfusion to one drop, plus a 25 sec pull before I pull the cup.
So I've done a half dozen pulls dialing in the grinder, and the last three have been fine-to-optimal. Want to pass along some notes while the experience is fresh (and the finish still coating my mouth).

Mr. Espresso Organic Neapolitan is a medium roasted comfort blend...and what comfort! Incredibly rich chocolates and caramels with just a touch of smokiness and tobacco. The flavors progress from "oh, yes, rich classic concentrated coffee" to "OMG, is that Belgian dark chocolate?" to "someone just walked past me smoking a Havana cigar" to "mmmm, burnt caramel". Great ruddy crema that I have to imagine is great for milk drink creativity. No photos yet, but I'll likely post some. The mouthfeel of this coffee is thick and viscous. The finish goes on and on and on...I'm simultaneously excited and fearful that it will never end (I'm reminded of the "consult your doctor if it lasts for more than four hours" admonitions...). Yes, this is going into the rotation, and supplanting the Lionshare I love for the time being.

Taking into account the variable trustworthiness of memory, this is a more crafted, complex coffee than the Mr. Espresso blends I drank decades ago. I'd recommend it on any number of H-B threads requesting suggestions for versatile comfort espresso. It has conclusively exceeded the expectations I had going in.

Parting thought for now:
This has to be one of the better coffees ever for an affogato, if not hands-down the best! Methinks I'll be grabbing some vanilla gelato this afternoon just to test that hypothesis. Scientific method and all that. :mrgreen:

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or questions.
- John

LMWDP # 577

#3: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

Affogato report
Yes, this coffee really shines with the creaminess of dairy. I fixed one last night after dinner and the essential flavors came through loud and clear, where other coffees (e.g., Red Bird espresso, Caffe Lusso GMC) will get a bit lost. A great affogato is the practically perfect dessert.

Milk drinks
This morning we fixed a cappuccino and a latte -- same brewing parameters as above -- and once again, this coffee demonstrated its versatility that extends from straight through fairly diluted milk drinks, in the latter of which a deep and strong chocolate flavor predominates.

By the way, didn't mention it earlier, but Mr. Espresso has two Neapolitan blends, the Organic I've been trying out, and a regular that is apparently roasted a touch darker. At some point I'll check out the latter out of curiosity. It has a slightly lower price, and may be even more in the classic southern Italian style than the Organic.
- John

LMWDP # 577

lancealot

#4: Post by lancealot »

Thanks for the report. I couldn't find any information on their site about shipping. Do you have any details?

#5: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

Ordinary shipping from Mr. Espresso is on the expensive side (IIRC, $3ish for a bag of their coffee). OTOH, if their regular Neapolitan turns out to be as good, it's price is a comparative bargain (at $12.50) so takes most of the sting out (I think I mentioned this in another thread). I haven't done so yet, but I intend to call them to see if they'll offer a better rate for larger quantities (e.g., a 2 or 5 lb bag).

For a relatively small roaster, they have a pretty wide distribution network, with quite a lot of retailers selling their beans, mostly in the western US, but a few elsewhere. I take this to mean they do right by the folks with whom they do business. I found that their website doesn't include all of their retailers, so it would be worthwhile emaiiing them to see if someone near you carries their product (that's how I found some availability in the Sacramento area). Or see if they'll cut you a deal if there are no retailers nearby. Can't hurt to ask.
- John

LMWDP # 577

#6: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

Just back to report that Mr. Espresso will ship in 5 lb bags.
  • The good news is that there's a nice discount over buying in 12 oz bags, as one would expect.
  • This is tempered some by their shipping exclusively through UPS, which is faster than USPS, but a bit more expensive.
I pulled the trigger on 5 lbs of the Organic, and had them throw in a 12 oz bag of the non-organic Neapolitan for comparison's sake.
- John

LMWDP # 577

lancealot

#7: Post by lancealot »

Thanks again John. To clarify, do you have to call them to purchase 5lb? I looked at the online order form and didn't see an option.

I look forward to hearing how the regular Neapolitan is! I will have to buy coffee in about a month and these are on my short list. I am currently on an Affordable Comfort Blend Grand Tour, or ACBGT if you will. Arriving this week is Josuma's Malabar Gold. When that is gone, perhaps some of this!

#8: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

lancealot wrote:Thanks again John. To clarify, do you have to call them to purchase 5lb? I looked at the online order form and didn't see an option.
Yep, I called them. I'll probably try the regular Neapolitan first, sometime next week. Will post my take after I've had a couple of optimal pulls.
- John

LMWDP # 577

#9: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

A compare/contrast detour into the non-organic variant of Mr. Espresso Neapolitan

Yesterday, I received 12 oz of the Mr. Espresso Neapolitan non-organic variant, and started playing with it this morning. NOTE: I'm using my E37S/Vetrano machines with this coffee, not the Monolith/Bosco combo I used for the Organic Neapolitan. And FWIW I'm using an IMS 18g basket. Here's how they describe this coffee on their website:

Neapolitan Espresso
Cupping notes : Bittersweet chocolate, Hazelnut, Caramel candy
Roast level : MEDIUM-DARK

Initially, I just wanted to spend a few minutes dialing in my grinder for later investigations, but discovered on my first grind/pull that the settings I was using for Lionshare are nearly perfect. My very first shot was 17.6g, and 34g out in 28 secs from first drop, at about 201F. So I quickly steamed some milk for a capp to compare it with the Lionshare capp I'd enjoyed earlier. The beans are roasted a touch or two darker than Lionshare and Organic Neapolitan (or Red Bird blends, etc.), and that's reflected very definitely in its flavor.

This coffee will appeal to those looking for a classic darker southern Italian taste profile (indeed, it's very reminiscent of the Mr. Espresso blends I was served 30 years ago, more so than their Organic Neapolitan, which is broader and more layered), and it seems to me the folks interested in the Lavazza/Kimbo/etc. blends will really like it. This coffee cuts through milk like Dothraki through Lannisters, sporting a predominant hazelnut followed by a dark chocolate and coffee finish. It's been a while since I've had Mountain Air Roasters Black Mountain, but that finish is very similar as I recall it. Definitely more retro than third wave.

A couple of hours later I pulled 3 straight espresso shots at 17.6g in, 34g out as above. I bracketed the temperatures on the HX between about 197F to 204F to get an idea of where it was happiest, and midrange was optimal.

First of all, the coffee seems pretty forgiving with temperatures. None of the shots were really flawed, but I got the best mouthfeel and balance around 201F. As a straight espresso, the predominant flavor is dark chocolate, with hazelnut, tobacco, and a hint of clove in the background. People who like no fruit in their espresso are likely to enjoy this. Unlike many other darker blends, I was hard pressed to find even a hint of cherry, much less citrus in it. It's very strong, bold, and in your face without being crude or harsh, and the finish is long. As coffees go, by analogy I'd compare its uncompromising nature to a strong Islay scotch, an old-style tannic Barolo, a well-seared Porterhouse steak seasoned only with salt and pepper, or a Chevy Corvette. Maybe another apt comparison is that it is to the Organic Neapolitan as Caffe Lusso Lionshare is to their GMC blend. Much of this is because the roasters at Mr. Espresso have taken the roast darker, and at least some of the components are different.

So which do I prefer? Well, I have to say that for me, the Organic Espresso is the more versatile and will probably be easier to live with. It's also a very powerful coffee, but it has more layering and nuance, and ultimately it's just more delicious to me -- although keep in mind the comparison is not apples to apples, since I'm using a different kind of machine and grinder; a heads-up comparison on the same equipment will have to be done another time. I definitely prefer the non-organic Neapolitan in milk rather than straight, whereas I thoroughly enjoy the Organic both ways equally well. People who like medium to dark roasts will like both, and I can easily imagine some will prefer the darker Neapolitan to its Organic relative. They're both fun coffees to play with, and I think they both represent an interesting and useful counterpoint to the recent trends around lightly-roasted coffees that emphasize floral acidity and fruit -- particularly citrus -- in their flavor palettes.
- John

LMWDP # 577

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

Balthazar_B wrote:Just back to report that Mr. Espresso will ship in 5 lb bags.
  • The good news is that there's a nice discount over buying in 12 oz bags, as one would expect.
  • This is tempered some by their shipping exclusively through UPS, which is faster than USPS, but a bit more expensive.
I pulled the trigger on 5 lbs of the Organic, and had them throw in a 12 oz bag of the non-organic Neapolitan for comparison's sake.
I asked them about larger quantities a couple months ago but never got a reply. The UPS shipping is a deal killer if you are on the East Coast. UPS Ground is 7 days minimum (5 work days/weekend) & pricey. USPS Priority Mail, which just about every large roaster offers, is 2-3 days tops. Their PM Flat Rate box/bag pricing is reasonable compared to UPS but has been steadily creeping up.
LMWDP 267