Induction Burner Suggestions - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
hankua
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by hankua »

We have a induction Moka pot, unfortunately it's below the minimum size. That information is usually found in the owners manuals; it would be a good idea to check with the manufacturer before ordering. The flush mount burner plate on the coffee bar is fantastic for pour-over prep.

AssafL

#22: Post by AssafL »

Did you try or just read the manual? It may or may not work
Depending on the permeability of the base of the Moka pot.

The question is can it close the resonant circuit for the coil - and that isn't a simple question of radius.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

EspressoForge (original poster)
Sponsor

#23: Post by EspressoForge (original poster) »

Since Randy has used one with his kettle, that seems like an ideal choice.

I used my kettle on the CookTek at Counter Culture, so I know both of those work.

Sponsor

#24: Post by EspressoForge (original poster) »

Well I got the Duxtop:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMCAM2G

Unfortunately for me I hear the terrible high-pitch whine, the noise isn't so bad, but it causes a tight chest and after turning off gave me a headache and nausea. Out of 4 others in the house, only one could kind of hear the sound, but seemed to cause no problems, none of the others could even hear.

At Counter Culture the CookTek I didn't notice anything, so seems a little weird to me, but looks like I'll have to get something else!

avid

#25: Post by avid »

I ordered the Fagor and it should be here today. I'll let you know what I think.

Sponsor

#26: Post by EspressoForge (original poster) replying to avid »

Thanks, interested to know what you think and if anyone that you know can perceive a noise or otherwise affects them.

While I may still be interested in one for a cooktop, I'll definitely have to try it out in a showroom!

avid

#27: Post by avid replying to EspressoForge »

It is a nice looking, svelte machine at least in relation to our 8 or 10 year old Wolfgang Puck. It is no less noisy than the Wolfgang Puck and the first try may have revealed a sharp whistle. Then again as I fooled around with it I think it may have been the All Clad 2 Qt saucepan lid. You might try and fool around with the lid and pan position on your hob as well. I have seen some incredible sounds emanating from cookware on my induction range. Rearranging the pan position and/or lid makes it go away. I wanted to have the pan and stove cool before repeating my trial. Will report back.

dominico
Team HB

#28: Post by dominico »

I solved the moka pot size problem by putting a pan on the burner and then putting the moka pot on the pan.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

AssafL

#29: Post by AssafL »

EspressoForge wrote:Well I got the Duxtop:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMCAM2G

Unfortunately for me I hear the terrible high-pitch whine, the noise isn't so bad, but it causes a tight chest and after turning off gave me a headache and nausea. Out of 4 others in the house, only one could kind of hear the sound, but seemed to cause no problems, none of the others could even hear.

At Counter Culture the CookTek I didn't notice anything, so seems a little weird to me, but looks like I'll have to get something else!
The high pitched whine (!at least a few kHz) is reluctance in the coil or (more likely) in the pan.

If it is the unlikely case of coil whine (caused by an unsecured coil, non potted inductors, etc) can be dramatically reduced by lining the areas under the board with sound absorbing material. The stuff everyone uses for their Quest M3 insulation is great. Whatever it is - it has to be inflammable, secure it where it doesn't touch anything or interfere with the fan. It won't eliminate the whine - but it will reduce the amount than makes it through the vent ports considerably.

More likely it is the pan - or pan type - that causes the whine. Usually it is laminates. I had two Demeyere pans delaminate on the cooktop - and one whistled like crazy before it did. The other was my fault (for forgetting it on the cooktop).
The laminated pans have a very thin disk of high carbon steel wedged between stainless and copper disks (in the case of Demeyere). Since it is high resistance (both thin and high resistance steel - remember the magnetic field doesn't have an effect on the copper and stainless) - it heat up miraculously fast. any impurities over time outgas and break the lamination, enabling the plate to vibrate with the induction resonance frequency.

Try using non laminated cookware to see if it is indeed the pans. Lodge is great. Sheet steel deBuyer are my favorite induction pans (and very cheap!) and become non stick with patina and are also non-laminates, Also all le creuset pans are 100% steel. Avoid fancy pans as they are probably laminates: the copper pans (all induction ones are laminated), the clad ones, the Demeyers, etc.

Cooktek probably uses a higher frequency, and they may be using a different pan type. Cooktek however, use wind-tunnel sounding fans from Sanyo. I replaced all of mine with low noise computer types. (I can rationalize why this is okay - in terms of home vs. restaurant usage, Wattage used and time used and duty cycle used).

Good luck.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by JohnB. »

Maybe we've just been lucky but we've had zero issues with pans whistling or any other weird noises on our GE induction range. Primary pots & pans are from an Emeril set which have a copper layer sandwiched between the pot & bottom layer. No delaminating, no noises after a number of years of use.
LMWDP 267