Please help me make the right choice - Grinder for espresso (and a little pour over)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
archiekay

#1: Post by archiekay »

I am looking to setup a Lapavoni or other lever machine with the right grinder. I have done lots of research and narrowed my choices to 3 models listed below.

I have a key issue, BUT firstly thanks for helping me out with yet another "help me pick a grinder" post:) . Retention is a major problem for me, as I will be doing single dose. I will pull 1-3 shots in a session and am not looking to waste purge beans or drink stale beans with old retained beans making up 20% of my shot. However, I am willing to experiment with some mods within reason if needed.

1) Mazzer Super Jolly:
Like this one best but am not sure about retention issues, have read mixed reviews with some reporting 10gs retained and others reporting a gram or two. Another potential issues is when I occasionally do a pour over the swap between fine espresso setting and coarse seems like a headache especially if it is dialed in well. Any experience with those two issues would help me make up my mind. Also do those 2 issues change for the Major or Mini which are other potential options as well?

2) Baratza Vario
Research says that retention is a none issues, however it has been said by some that it is not as great in the cup as the SJ. The finicky dials seem much less sturdy than the set screw throttled neck of the mazzer.

3) Baratza Sette
The build quality looks cheap, and plastic-y. It looks like it does great for espresso, is fast, and has hardly any retention at all. I am still not sure about its grind consistency against the mazzer however.

Please help me decide. I have seen some Super Jolly models that are quite affordable in the used market locally. Have you ever seen a super jolly with a white turn adjustment on the neck ? Was planning on buying a second hand SJ and new burr set or new Vario/Sette. As you can tell I am leaning towards a SJ, it seems like a sturdy machine that will last for the next 20 years however the retention issue would drop it out of the running, please let me know what your experience have been with those machines with regard to the issues I highlighted.

THANKS AGAIN!

osel

#2: Post by osel »

Budget?

Hand grinders?

Advertisement
archiekay (original poster)

#3: Post by archiekay (original poster) »

Yes you are right I should have had my budget in the post: Budget is around 600 Euros/700 USD, could be a little more or a little less but want to make sure I get something that fits my needs perfectly. Have not really thought about hand grinders, but maybe I should. I am open to models I have not listed and hand grinders as well. Thanks again for putting up with another one of these threads!

#4: Post by archiekay (original poster) »

I think "3)" is out of the running, just found out that the Sette's burrs cannot be replaced, that is kind of pushing me off of that model. Longevity was a concern based on build quality, however finding out that the burrs cant be replaced has really put me off.

trapperkeeper

#5: Post by trapperkeeper »

any 60mm+ grinder with full metal housing would be my vote... super jolly would be excellent. I wouldn't use a vario for espresso ever again - too much flex everywhere.. you switch beans or grind settings, you're always chasing your tail to dial it in... been there done that. For anything other than espresso, the vario is excellent.
LMWDP #600

#6: Post by archiekay (original poster) replying to trapperkeeper »

Not sure if any 60mm would solve the issue of single dose and my major concern over retention, unless I am missing something? Thanks for your advice on the Vario, you have confirmed my reservations with that grinder might be out of the running as well.

maxbmello

#7: Post by maxbmello »

If you are wanting to switch between pourover and espresso you will be frustrated with any grinder you choose. Once you get it dialed in for a shot, you aren't going to want to switch back and forth - you are better off getting 2 grinders. Most HBers here would agree after futile attempts of finding that perfect grinder.

For high quality grinds, low to no retention, and in your budget, I would strongly consider a hand grinder. Mahlgut, Pharos, Helor, Kinu, Knock just to name a few to get you started. Honestly I think hand grinders pair better with levers anyway, making the whole process hands on.

Good luck in your search.

Advertisement

#8: Post by archiekay (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion on hand grinders, I will look into those models though I will have to decide if I want to go that route. Any experience with the retention on the Mazzer Super Jolly ?

#9: Post by archiekay (original poster) »

Assuming I use the machine for espresso only, what is can I expect in terms of retention from the super jolly, mini mazzer, and major ? Would love to hear about your experiences with those grinder for home single dose use.

trapperkeeper

#10: Post by trapperkeeper »

You've probably got a grinder by now but anyways...

I wouldn't worry about retention... even a single dosing retentionless grinder will still have to be purged if you don't use it for a couple days because you can't get 100% of the grinds out of the chamber.. sure you put in x and get out x, and a single dosing grinder is designed to hold on to less, compared to a machine with a longer chute etc, but there is always some in there, a fine dust if you will... and this will mess up a shot if the grinder hasn't been used in a bit, in my experience anyways...

If you use the grinder daily, wouldn't worry about purging, even if it holds onto a bit, leave it more than a day, purge 5-10 grams... in the end that little bit extra is so insignificant compared to how much coffee you go through dialing shots when changing beans that it really doesn't matter... super jolly is a nice grinder... a 80mm is a little faster but pretty much same grind.. my 0.02
LMWDP #600