New Rocket R58 v2? Or anything better?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Oddaball

#1: Post by Oddaball »

Hello!

Im about to buy a new machine, im thinking about the rocket r58 V2 2017 mod. Is there any other better machines in terms of cup quality in this price range? As for the grinder, i have an mazzer major.

Does the rocket need some special filter in the water or something else to work, or is it good to go right out of the box?
Also can i descale it myself or does it have to be sent in?

Really appreciate the info i get! thanks!

justneel

#2: Post by justneel »

Rocket r58 vs others, I'll leave that for someone else. I don't have experience with nicer machines like that.

For filters, generally the best practice is to filter the water before it gets into the machine. That could mean use bottled water or have a water softener and carbon filter before the machine if it's plumbed in. I've read a lot of people say it's not wise to descale the machine. The best is to make sure that scale never gets into your machine by using softened water. The reason is that the descaler is kinda harsh. It could wear away at the boilers inside.

I don't think the R58 requires any special water, but just following the above advice to provide long term minimal-maintenance.

That being said, if you really WANT to descale your machine, you can do it on your own. It does not need to be sent in to have it done.

Lilybell2

#3: Post by Lilybell2 »

In my opinion, the Rocket R58 is a really good choice. I don't have an R58, but I do have the Rocket Giotto Type V (2017) and I am very happy with the machine's quality and performance.

As for the water, Rocket does recommend their resin filter, but it's no big deal. Soak it and toss it in the reservoir and that's it. Video here: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/blog/ ... ir-filter/

I also use filtered water along with using the resin filter.

Oddaball (original poster)

#4: Post by Oddaball (original poster) »

So its absolutely necessary to use bottle water?
Can i use tap water just a little, or is that a big no-no
does it matter which bottle water it is? so the cheapest stuff you can get will work?

Lilybell2

#5: Post by Lilybell2 »

No, it isn't necessary to use bottled water. In fact, some bottled water may very well have more scale producing minerals in it than your own tap water does. I do not use bottled water, but I do have a Mavea pitcher that I use for filtering scale producing minerals from tap water. I use that filtered water, along with the Rocket resin filter. I may be overdoing a bit, but then again I live in a hard water area, and I admittedly do tend to be rather a fussbudget when it comes to my espresso machine.

This is not a Rocket specific issue. Indeed, using water filtered through the Mavea pitcher (or a similar medium) is something I would do with any espresso machine. In fact, I did the same with my old Breville machine.

osel

#6: Post by osel »

Oddaball wrote:Hello!

Im about to buy a new machine, im thinking about the rocket r58 V2 2017 mod. Is there any other better machines in terms of cup quality in this price range? As for the grinder, i have an mazzer major.

Does the rocket need some special filter in the water or something else to work, or is it good to go right out of the box?
Also can i descale it myself or does it have to be sent in?

Really appreciate the info i get! thanks!

The way I was taught this is: check your already filtered water (whatever you drink) hardness ppm with a strip test like Sofchek by HACH that you can get on Amazon for a few dollars. ~50 ppm is good for espresso machines, and you may never have to descale. If your water is harder than ~80 ppm use a pitcher like Mavea to soften it. Or use some other method i.e. bottled water etc. (which you will also have to test for hardness)

If you ever need to descale it seems fairly easy to do yourself.

Mavea pitcher, by the way, provides absolutely amazing tasting drinking water if you fill it up with already very well filtered water. Pitchers have tiny filters, so they are not as good at actual filtering as the large 3-stage under the sink filters, but Mavea pitcher softens the water and I much prefer that taste. It's better than even most bottled waters.

Oddaball (original poster)

#7: Post by Oddaball (original poster) »

Would a machine like LM GS3 be alot better?

Lilybell2

#8: Post by Lilybell2 replying to Oddaball »

Only you can decide what machine best suits your needs. Do keep in mind though that all machines will require upkeep, including scale prevention and/or removal. Shower screens will require cleaning and eventual replacement as do gaskets. And Osel is right about using test strips for your water, which is something I forgot to mention, and it's quick and easy to do.

bluediesel77

#9: Post by bluediesel77 »

I have an R58 plumbed in and out with a BWT bestmax filter setup and a flow meter so I know when to change out filters. There is also the Mavea which is also a good choice if you plan on plumbing it in to your home.

I really enjoy my R58 and would buy it again if I had too. Your grinder will have a greater effect in the cup than which e61 DB machine you choose.

justneel

#10: Post by justneel »

What would be the difference between an e61 double boiler vs a gs/3 or linea mini in the cup given the same grinder, water, etc?