What a difference a better espresso machine makes.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
4CrazyKids

#1: Post by 4CrazyKids »

So... over the past couple of months I've been on the hunt for the right machine. I've considered manual levers, HX, semi-auto levers, the whole 9 yards. I've been using a Saeco Aroma machine with a bottomless portafilter for a couple of years and I felt like I'd maxed out my potential. Boy, was I ever right. I picked up an ECM Giotto from an estate sale a week or so ago (early 2000s, half moon gauge) for a real steal. So far all I've done to the old girl is replace the group gasket. The results are pretty amazing and I've yet to even tweak the boiler pressure (which seems a bit on the high side) and the brew pressures (for which I've ordered a gauge).

After reading through all of the guides, getting feedback, and finally a great deal on a very respectable machine I can't believe what a difference it makes. Even my bad shots are better than my average shots on the old machine. The only sink shot was my very first shot and that was a gusher before I'd dialed in the old trusty Lido 2.

So far the only drawback to having a bigger, badder, better machine in my mind is convenience. Gone are the days of powering on the machine, waiting 10-15 minutes and pulling a shot. Do I care? No, not at all. For me the ease of pulling such a high quality shot without boiler surfing, etc. makes up for waiting 30-45 minutes for the beast to come up to optimum brew temperature parameters. Flush, grind, tamp, pull, drink, smile. Once she's been running for an hour you could conceivably pull shot after shot with very little fuss (we won't even discuss the steaming, but wow! I don't make a ton of milky drinks, though).

I guess my point is this, and why I chose this forum to post this post... If you feel you've maxed out on your skill and grinder with an entry level machine like a Gaggia Classic, Aroma, or similar SB machine and you're asking yourself "Is upgrading really going to make a difference enough to be worth the upgrade?" just do it! People on this and other sites will say "It's Barista, Grind, Machine in that order" I agree with this philosophy, however, without the machine there is no espresso and the machine DEFINITELY affects the quality of your espresso. With the same barista (me), the same grinder (Lido 2) and even the same coffee my results were vastly improved instantly and effortlessly by improving my toolkit with a high quality machine. Thanks to everyone on HB who contributed to my search both actively and passively. I hope this little write up is helpful to others.

edschlukebir

#2: Post by edschlukebir »

only thing to add is I just had the same experience with a grinder upgrade. I found a used Compak k10 from a restaurant supply auction, and just tried it out the this morning. It's not even completely dialed in yet, but I am getting much better pours than I do from my Baratza Vario.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

4CrazyKids wrote:Gone are the days of powering on the machine, waiting 10-15 minutes and pulling a shot.
If you're in a rush, flush once after the steam boiler reaches temperature (7-9 minutes), wait two minutes, flush, wait two minutes, pull.
Dan Kehn

ofercohen

#4: Post by ofercohen »

While both are SBDU, upgrading from a Silvia to a Quickmill Alexia made a very significant difference for me. Changing the shower screen and the basket further improved the results.

4CrazyKids (original poster)

#5: Post by 4CrazyKids (original poster) »

HB wrote:If you're in a rush, flush once after the steam boiler reaches temperature (7-9 minutes), wait two minutes, flush, wait two minutes, pull.
Ooh, good to know. Thanks!

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#6: Post by RapidCoffee »

4CrazyKids wrote:People on this and other sites will say "It's Barista, Grind, Machine in that order"
Need to slip coffee beans in there as well. :)

FWIW, I see little value in trying to rank these elements. You need good coffee, good grinder, good espresso machine, and good technique. Espresso is always limited by the weakest link in the chain.

Congrats on your new machine!
John

takeshi

#7: Post by takeshi »

4CrazyKids wrote:So far the only drawback to having a bigger, badder, better machine in my mind is convenience. Gone are the days of powering on the machine, waiting 10-15 minutes and pulling a shot.
There are ways to deal with it. Flush the machine as suggested, use a timer or similar, etc. I have a Z-Wave outlet and my security system handles scheduling as well as giving me remote control via smartphone app.
RapidCoffee wrote:FWIW, I see little value in trying to rank these elements. You need good coffee, good grinder, good espresso machine, and good technique. Espresso is always limited by the weakest link in the chain.
All links certainly matter but those starting out seem to have a tendency to overlook the grinder and focus on the machine.

salvia

#8: Post by salvia »

Thanks for the report. Particularly interesting since I'm currently using a Saeco Aroma + bottomless portafilter.
I suspected as much, but sort of hoped it wasn't the case. :D