La Marzocco Advanced Precision Basket. Is it the same as Strada basket?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DaumierS

#1: Post by DaumierS »

LM sells them for only $11.79:
https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/product/17g-basket/

Are they good? Are they the same as the Strada baskets? I've read they are produced at the same factory as VST baskets. Are they comparable to VST?

nuketopia

#2: Post by nuketopia »

To the eye, by weight, by all the means I can measure them with, they appear to be identical other than the laser etch and the quality report.

cycomachead

#3: Post by cycomachead »

When I ordered Strada basked from LM Italy (with some other stuff), they came with a paper verifying test results and they have a bar code that the ones that came with my Linea Mini don't have.

The Strada ones _seem_ to have a very slightly different coating, but I'm not sure. I haven't been able to notice performance differences, but I do use the Strada basket every day--just because I paid for it.

DaumierS (original poster)

#4: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

I just got a new GS3, it came with some baskets that look pretty simple, not as heavy as VST, and not polished. Nothing is written on them. The GS3 operating manual says they are 'advanced precision', but I am not sure...

Should I switch back to VST?

How much did you pay for the Strada baskets, I am curious.

nuketopia

#5: Post by nuketopia »

I was curious - and I bought a Strada basket from LM Parts. It was $35 or so.

In every respect, it was completely identical to the "advanced precision" basket of the same size supplied with my Linea Mini. I have a VST basket that appears to be identical in construction, other than being a ridge-less 20g.

The Strada came with the same sort of certificate that the VST basket comes with. I believe both are manufactured by VST or at least in the same manner if not by the same manufacturer.

There's no guarantee that this remains the same or will in the future.

Link to LM's data on basket types:
http://lamarzoccousa.com/docs/tb/LM-Basket-Guide.pdf

#6: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

My LM baskets look different than my VST baskets (VST's are on the left):

VST baskets are polished and they look a bit heavier. Did I get 'advanced precision' LM baskets with my new GS3?
There is no "advanced precision' mark on them.

Ellejaycafe

#7: Post by Ellejaycafe »

How does the espresso taste? Honestly. Does it really matter what the basket is?
LMWDP #544

#8: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

Yes, I can explain my question. The operating manual of GS3 mentions the machine is shipped with the 'advanced precision' baskets. Moreover, it is convenient to have LM 7gm, 14 g, 17g, 21g. The full range. I've read they are the same as VST, but without certification. It's OK, the chances are they are of high quality. But from what I see, they look different, not polished, lighter, etc. There is no sigh 'advanced precision" on them. If they are not 'advanced precision', I could try to ask LM to replace them.

I just got my machine (and baskets) yesterday, so it is too early to make any conclusions. What I see now is that VST's require finer grind, but I am not sure yet. In a couple of shots I could see that the time of extraction for VST's is faster. So, I need to grind finer with VST. That is why it is difficult to compare the taste.

#9: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

nuketopia wrote: Link to LM's data on basket types:
http://lamarzoccousa.com/docs/tb/LM-Basket-Guide.pdf
They look different than mine. Polished. Can you please show a picture of yours? If it is not too burdensome.. thanks!

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by Peppersass »

LM Strada and LM Advanced Precision baskets are made in the same factory as VST baskets, under license from VST.

LM Strada baskets are essentially identical to VST baskets. The only difference is that VST uses an automated, high-volume optical inspection process, while LM uses a manual optical inspection process. Thus LM can't produce Strada baskets in high volumes at reasonable margins, and they supply them only with their most expensive machines.

LM Advanced Precision Baskets are manufactured the same way, but the optical scanning process isn't used. Therefore LM's margins on these baskets make them more suitable for inclusion with their lower-priced machines and higher-volume machines. But they're not identical in quality or consistency to Strada and VST baskets.

You can find information on the subject from LM here.