What vintage lever espresso machine make the best tasting coffee?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ppaolo2

#1: Post by ppaolo2 »

Hello,

in the last year I started reparing and refurbishing old classic lever machines, but since I own a ECM Mechanika IV for daily use, I never kept one for myself. I live in Italy so it's quite easy for me to find different used vintage lever machine, and I would like to pick the best one to keep for myself.
I like thick and syrupy body, and I use high quality beans from Torrefazione Piansa, medium/dark roasts.
These are the possible choices I am considering, but I am open to suggestions:

Microcimbali
La Pavoni europiccola/professional
Arrarex Caravel
Sama Export
La peppina
Zacconi Riviera
Elektra Microcasa

Thanks for your help!

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

That's a loaded question since all the machines you mentioned are capable in the right hands.

Some do inherently better with different types of coffee or roast levels.

Also depends on the consumer's preference ristretto, regular or lungo espresso shot.

La Pavoni Europiccola with added gauge/professional and Arrarex VAM/Caravel, I find easiest to use in order to get my regular espresso desired cup.

The Zacconi Riviera older model with 45mm group was great for those who like ristretto espresso shots. I believe the Sama Export has the same group.

No experience with the others.

Assuming all machines you mentioned are capable of making great espresso shot. I then start looking at other factors.
I prefer machines with ease of use including ease of maintenance and cleaning. I take into account quality of materials and availability of parts.
Prefer brass and stainless steel over aluminum, pot metal or zinc plated metal when it comes to internals (boiler, spring, element and piston)
Aluminum is fine for things like bases and grills and sometimes preferred as in the early aluminum bases and grills on the La Pavoni Europiccola.

Microcimbali - Aluminum boiler.
La Pavoni europiccola/professional - see changes here: La Pavoni 1st gen evolution list of major changes.
Arrarex Caravel - Stainless steel open boiler and piston.
Sama Export - I believe brass internals.
La peppina - Questionable internals possibly nickel or zinc plated.
Zacconi Riviera - Brass internals. Hard to come by parts for older model.
Elektra Microcasa - Brass internals some issue with parts availability with older models.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

ppaolo2 (original poster)

#3: Post by ppaolo2 (original poster) »

Thanks for your advice!
Some of those machines have spring levers, can this help with shot consistency compared to manual? (I am not experienced with lever machines)

redbone

#4: Post by redbone replying to ppaolo2 »

In theory yes but coffee is always changing. I use feel with my non spring machines and from experience have become quite consistent.
Of the spring assisted spring machines I've owned or own. Zacconi Riviera Eagle, Faema Faemina and Pedretti (Kim Express to be tested).
I found them the hardest to dial in with regards to dose and grind. They can never be over dosed either. Every new coffee roast has to be dialed in.

The hardest consistency aspect after grind / dose is group temp and not consistent lever force.
Knowing when the ideal group temp is key for optimal desired taste in the cup.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

The Sama Export will also make a rich shot and be very repeatable. It has a strong spring. I recommend against the Microcimbali because it is so prone to aluminum corrosion and rust.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

doubleOsoul

#6: Post by doubleOsoul »

I'm with Gary on both the Sama and the Microcimbali. I had the Dampa, a funky red headed cousin to the Sama Export. Very compact, capable lever. Steam beast and good travel companion too.

Paolo

#7: Post by Paolo »

I have pulled many shots with Caravel, Cremina, Conti Prestina, Faema Lambro and Brugnetti Aurora... and if "thick and syrupy body with medium/dark roasts" is your thing, then the plain-Jane Brugnetti Aurora is the pick of them (to my tastebuds anyway).

donn

#8: Post by donn »

redbone wrote:In theory yes but coffee is always changing. I use feel with my non spring machines and from experience have become quite consistent.
Indeed, it isn't hard in my opinion, to apply the direct pressure you need. The difference is more in the process than the outcome - and if you go through that process several times a day, it's something to think about. I understand it's a significant factor in why commercial levers are all spring driven, the spring takes over and allows the barista to attend to other things during the pour. There'd be little point in a direct drive espresso machine with multiple groups, for example. At home I hope we have a little more leisure to do one thing at a time, but some people may enjoy that brief commitment to the pour more, maybe a sort of contemplative opportunity with a physical component, where others may enjoy the spring experience more, where you just crank the spring and let it do its thing.

I don't currently have any on your list, but a couple points from my Zerowatt that may apply to one or more of them. First, it's a spring lever, but the design is such that it's also a direct lever, if you care to push up on the lever, assisting the spring. That's actually quite nice, on the perhaps rare occasion when your coffee would otherwise choke the pour. Lacking this option to assist the spring, a choked pour is a real inconvenience with spring levers.

Second, it's an open boiler. and that makes a huge difference for thermal stability. Like the Caravel. (La Peppina, too, but its design is so eccentric I can't say for sure how much this applies.) Temperature is very important to espresso quality, I dare say much more important than the exact pressure. I'll never again bother with a small machine that tries to make steam and espresso both, I think it's just a fundamentally unsolvable design problem. If our main espresso machine ever goes, I expect to be getting in line for a Strietman, the modern heir to the vintage open boilers.

ppaolo2 (original poster)

#9: Post by ppaolo2 (original poster) »

Thanks for your inputs, I've never come across a Brugnetti, I'll try to look for a used one around the web.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

If you can't find a used one, there's a thread here where one of our members is remaking the Brugnetti with modern improvements.

Building a lever machine.... from scratch

But considering your access to vintage machines, I think you have a number of choices to find something that will work for you. I have been able to get rich, syrupy shots from my Conti Prestina, all of my La Pavoni machines, my Olympia Express Cremina, a Ponte Vecchio Export, and my Caravel, and even have managed that with an Elektra Microcasa a Leva.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!