Espresso in Boston

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Deepseaskydiver

#1: Post by Deepseaskydiver »

Hi guys. Going to be spending a week in Boston and wanted to get a recommendation for a great place to grab an espresso. I am staying in Copley Square. Also, any roasters I need to visit? Thanks in advance

Lacoffee

#2: Post by Lacoffee »

4A coffee in brookline. I used to live right next door and went there every morning. Best i found in Boston. Alan and his wife Erke run it. Small family roaster. No seating really, just benches in the windows, so it is not a "go sit for a long stay" kind of place, but the coffee is legit. check out the yelp page for more info https://www.yelp.com/biz/4a-coffee-brookline .
Andrew

Advertisement
markmark1

#3: Post by markmark1 »

I like Thinking Cup.

http://www.thinkingcup.com

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

Render
Dwelltime (or anything Barismo)
George Howell

I usually always stop at these when I'm in the area.

vr6tvw
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by vr6tvw »

You should stop by cafefixe. They serve Barrington Coffee Roasting Company.

They are also KvdW Dealers. Very cool machines!

They have 3 locations.

1642 Beacon Street
Washington Square
Brookline

jayeff34

#6: Post by jayeff34 »

George Howell and Gracenote serve really good espressos. If you are interested in some beans you can buy a bag at George Howell's and get a cup of 'free' espresso.

TxHr

#7: Post by TxHr »

This may be a bit late for the original poster, but I figured I would share my recent experiences from my day trip to Boston.

I visited George Howell's new cafe in the Godfrey Hotel. The space was beautifully laid out and the design was elegantly fun and uniquely appointed. The bean selection was almost overwhelming, as there was an option for every palate. Additionally, there was a vast selection of brewing equipment for the home enthusiast to purchase. Moreover, the staff in the shop was willing to assist with questions and instruction on the items offered for sale.

I started off a double shot of the Alchemy Espresso blend, which is pulled on a KvdW Spirit, followed by a cappuccino with the same blend. Both were delicious, but the espresso memorable. I was mad at myself for subjecting my second espresso to milk, as it lost itself. The double espresso was sweet and perfectly pulled. As a matter of fact, I am considering ordering a 5lb bag when I get back home.

The second shop I visited, since it was nearby, was Thinking Cup. As I walked down the sidewalk and approached the building, I noticed a Stumptown sign waving in the wind. This caused me to do a double take to make sure I was in the right spot. I entered the cafe and was welcomed by a huge crowd and a long line. I figured based on an HB review and the line, the place must be legit. After a short wait, I ordered an espresso and cappuccino, just as I did at Howell. After a few minutes I received my drinks and I took a sip. This was by far the worst espresso I've had (outside of my own kitchen, when I first started down the rabbit hole of coffee). The product in the cup was burnt, acrid and had zero distinguishable flavors other than ashy. This is the first time I have ever poured out a drink at a cafe. My wife was in disbelief at the look on my face and even more surprised to hear me say I would rather have Starbucks (as I detest them). Hopefully they were just having an off day, but the vibe of the place along with the attitude of the staff and the final product, I won't be going back.

I hope these reviews help others in their quest for great coffee while in Boston. I wished I had more time, as it seems there is a plethora of cafes with stellar reviews and great experiences awaiting.