La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Bedford Blend Espresso / Toby's Estate - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
michael

#21: Post by michael »

I liked it, even bought more at the flatiron store in nyc, good shots and vg+ milk drinks and Americanos, 18gs in, 30gs out in 30-35 seconds, did well with the monolith and both of the mazzers 8)

Bret

#22: Post by Bret »

BAEvans wrote:Glad to see it's not just me and my lack of fine expertise. Just too sour for my taste. Only drinkable as espresso with a really fine grind. Ok with milk but nothing special if the next one isn't better I'm going to rethink this subscription. Really couldn't get it to work at all with smaller doses (Caravel and Cremina).
I agree. Nothing to get excited about with this one. I'm thinking about dropping the subscription as well. I received my order of Malabar Gold, and it is terrific. I have no interest in even opening the second bag of Bedford.

ProletariatCoffee
Supporter

#23: Post by ProletariatCoffee »

oh man, i'm glad to see I am not the only one struggling with this blend!

I've also noticed that the sour notes have improved with more rest, but it is still got some tartness to it.

so far, the best I've been able to do is 19.5g in (using either a 18g VST or 16-20 IMS basket), aprox 12s PI and 32 out in aprox 30s. Not loving it though...
follow my coffee adventures on instagram @proletariatcoffee

nuketopia (original poster)

#24: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Bad roast. Bottom line, had I bought this locally, I would have taken it back. I got too lazy to send it back by mail.

It has gotten a lot less sour in 3 weeks post-roast now. But it just isn't a winner.

mospro

#25: Post by mospro »

Hi Everyone! Thank you all for signing up to the LM subscription. Our entire team is delighted to have been selected for the LM Residency this year. I noticed some users are having difficulties extracting the Bedford Blend. Typically we suggest a dose of 18g/yield of 32-36 out extracting between 28-32 seconds at a temperature of 202F. Bedford is a blend composed of 80% washed Colombian and 20% washed Ethiopian and should deliver a bright espresso with a sweet, clean finish. Please feel free to e-mail me directly for any questions regarding extraction, TDS range or any other things that may be helpful in troubleshooting.
Best,
Allie Caran,
Director of Education
alliec@tobysestate.com

blauhaus

#26: Post by blauhaus »

I live down the block from Toby's in Brooklyn and use their beans fairly frequently. Personally, I prefer the Flatiron to the Bedford.

#27: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

mospro wrote:Hi Everyone! Thank you all for signing up to the LM subscription. Our entire team is delighted to have been selected for the LM Residency this year. I noticed some users are having difficulties extracting the Bedford Blend. Typically we suggest a dose of 18g/yield of 32-36 out extracting between 28-32 seconds at a temperature of 202F. Bedford is a blend composed of 80% washed Colombian and 20% washed Ethiopian and should deliver a bright espresso with a sweet, clean finish. Please feel free to e-mail me directly for any questions regarding extraction, TDS range or any other things that may be helpful in troubleshooting.
Best,
Allie Caran,
Director of Education
alliec@tobysestate.com

Reached out by email.

#28: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Update:

Made contact with the people at Toby's Estate who sent some more Bedford Estate. I'm happy to say, this batch was much better tasting and much better behaved when pulling it. I'll post some more notes after a few more pulls and give it a few days longer rest post roasting date.