Espresso vs. pourover, which do you reach for day-to-day? - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Charlene

#21: Post by Charlene »

I've never brewed pour over. I may at some point.

Even after getting the new espresso setup almost 4 months ago, I have morning coffee. Mid-morning, I make espresso. Mid-afternoon, I make espresso. Sometimes I make espresso at night... even up to 9pm. Can't explain why, but caffeine does not wire me so that I can't sleep.

Recently, I started roasting beans specifically for espresso in addition to roasting for drip coffee.

Roasted the third 1/2 lb batch for espresso and let me tell you... the flavor jumped out and kissed me. W-O-W.

Full City roast using Sweat Maria's Guatemala Acatenango Gesha Lot 2. Profile 18g grinds, 36g in the cup and 203.5 degrees initial brew temp. These beans want a finer grind than most beans I have used to make espresso. While reported not to be the ultimate Gesha, it. is. Gesha. The cooler the cup got the more the flavor blossomed. In addition to chocolate, the Jasmine & Tangelo leaped out. These beans are 2 days post roast.
dale_cooper wrote:I've recently fallen down the espresso rabbit hole (past 1-2 months) picking up my first espresso machine...

In that period, 9 times out of 10 in the morning before work, I still tend to do my usual zen routine of v60 pourover; either celebrating the potential magic of my home roasted beans, or being frustrated :lol:

Espresso shots seem to be relegated for quick pick me ups in late afternoon on the weekends, or maybe a decaf shot at night. However, most of my shots are getting fairly dialed in now, and they're EXTREMELY satisfying. I've also started using my own roasts, which can be just ok in the v60, but surprisingly REALLYYYY good as espresso. The intensity, flavor clarity, mouthfeel, its mind blowing at times... I really love it. This morning I added 5g of ethiopian beans into the 16g shot of el salvador beans I was about to make, holy cow, the sweet maria cupping notes came alive.

BUT, 2 sips and all the magic is gone, so I end up making brewed coffee much more frequently. I like the peace of sipping on an awesome brewed cup (especially if it's a nailed roast). How many of you tend to drink espresso much more often than brewed coffee? Seems that the people on here with espresso machines are much more skewed towards drinking espresso.

I guess I could make a double shot and my v60 brew every morning, but that's a good bit of caffeine....

Just curious what methods everyone tends to enjoy most frequently

smite

#22: Post by smite »

Hands down, I prefer straight shots or possibly an odd americano to just about anything else. Very few non espresso drinks provide the level of satisfaction for me. Occasionally I can go for a full bodied SO coffee like a well roasted Ethiopia or Sulawesi but that is the exception.