Do you "chase the taste"? - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
MNate

#21: Post by MNate »

I would like to but generally feel like I don't know how so once I get things tasting "pretty good" I keep things the same. I wish there were more frequent discussion on H-B about how to do it (beyond buying new equipment). Haha, speaking of new equipment, sometimes I do wonder if using a manual grinder that I don't like to adjust prevents me from chasing the taste and I should get another grinder... yeah, I know, adjusting dose, yield, brew temp, etc. are factors too... So maybe the true biggest thing preventing my quest is just not being able to identify what's in the cup to figure out next how to adjust it.

So simple answer, "No, but I'd like to."

BaristaBoy E61

#22: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I'm always trying to make that 'perfect' Cappuccino with that first sip being so good as to making me weak in the knees. Every shot starting with the promise of perfection like each new day of a diet, only to usually fall short. Fortunately, almost all shots are good. Latté art is one of the hardest things to get right. The company that shares the moment makes up for what does not appear in the cup. There in is the real joy of espresso, the connection to friends and family.

I too chased the audiophile bug for many years and was finally (mostly) cured by having a mortgage and kids in private schools. The kids grew up, the mortgage got 'retired'; my hearing isn't what it used to be so voila - bonjour espresso!

Now we chase that elusive cup at home and wherever we travel, what a wonderful trip.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Radio.YYZ

#23: Post by Radio.YYZ »

I have been "chasing the taste" so far too... I changed machines to a prosumer and i realized tonnes of variables are involved. Water quality, COFFEE (age & quality) beans, grinder grind, distribution, tamping, temperature, yield, pressure, what i ate before hand.

I seem to have a good handle on grinder grind, distribution, tamping, and pressure. I am keeping these constant and playing with temperature, yield, coffee to get the taste i want.

I still have yet to get the thick syrupy sweet stuff everyone talks about but that maybe fully coffee dependent!

I am narrowing in my temperature and water so my only variables to play would be coffee & temperature!!
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

slipchuck (original poster)

#24: Post by slipchuck (original poster) »

I can't afford a lot of new equipment but I do try to chase the taste I experienced in Portugal. Found that only once on the substandard equipment I own :)
But it is fun and interesting

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”