As a new espresso fan, the exponential cost of machines is so frustrating! - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
h3yn0w

#11: Post by h3yn0w »

Do you ever make milk drinks or strictly straigh espressso ? If you make milk drinks I would look into a used NS Oscar (v1). Those are fantastic bargains and bang for the buck. Much better than a SBDU machine IMO.

Charlene

#12: Post by Charlene »

w3agle wrote:Thanks for all the comments! The more time I spend on here the more I think a lever machine might be the right move for me. I love the taste of espresso of course, but I also really enjoy the control and process of the whole routine.
I think of the upgrade path as what will be my cost after I sell my newly purchased machine for whatever reason such as going to yet the next higher level machine. Good ones hold a good percentage of their value. Thus,the final cost is the purchase price minus the selling price in the future.

The durability reputation of a given machine is a consideration.

What folks are saying about considering a quality lever machine like a La Pavoni in your situation sounds right.

RikC

#13: Post by RikC »

Yes, when I started looking into it the cost also acted as a barrier to me. But then I got to thinking about it. And if a number of upgrades would eventually lead me to the equipment I'd really want and I would know that would be a machine which lasts 20+ years it would be a good investment and buying it immediately will cost me much less in total. So eventually, I bought something which cost me about 3-4 of months of what remains of my salary after fixed expenses. Haven't had a moment of regret about it since it arrived!

jeffb

#14: Post by jeffb »

I was fortunate to purchase a new HX machine about 15 years ago. Even with a good grinder it was not repeatable enough, I did pull some reasonable shots. 11 years ago I purchased a S1 Vivaldi II by La Spaziale. I used it for 10 years ($250/year) and the espresso was superb and I never had any breakdown or cost with the machine. My son has used for the last year. I was fortunate to be able to move to a Linea Mini.

My point is that the cost of a good machine is expensive, but in my opinion, very worth it, particularly if you amortize over years. If you are able to find and compare machines, the results may surprise you. Often the result of numerous upgrades can be expensive and disappointing!

spressomon

#15: Post by spressomon »

Compared to 20-years ago when I bought my first espresso machine, and today, we've never had a bigger selection of espresso gear in all price ranges. So, as with just about any vertical market today, you can spend a little or an inordinate amount in every product category; even espresso gear.

But you don't need to spend thousands, to be able to get tasty espresso at home. In fact I argue you get more bang for your buck today ...
No Espresso = Depresso