La Marzocco Linea Mini Microfoam Struggles - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
kwantfm

#31: Post by kwantfm »

I use the standard LM tip and have the steam boiler set at 2 bar. I use a 600 mL jug and find that the quality of the microfoam is excellent other than one thing... I get a very small blob (about the size of a dime) of thicker foam in the very middle of the jug... I can get rid of it by using the milk sharing technique (i.e. pouring the milk into another jug) but don't think that I should need to. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? It has to be me and not the machine.
LMWDP #602

Simon345

#32: Post by Simon345 »

Thats the same setup as me including machine, pressure setting and tip. Do you swirl before pouring?

Advertisement
kwantfm

#33: Post by kwantfm replying to Simon345 »

Certainly do swirl before pouring. The thicker foam blob almost looks like it becomes more pronounced after a swirl!
LMWDP #602

bluesman

#34: Post by bluesman »

kwantfm wrote:I use the standard LM tip and have the steam boiler set at 2 bar. I use a 600 mL jug and find that the quality of the microfoam is excellent other than one thing... I get a very small blob (about the size of a dime) of thicker foam in the very middle of the jug... I can get rid of it by using the milk sharing technique (i.e. pouring the milk into another jug) but don't think that I should need to. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? It has to be me and not the machine.
You may be stretching a few seconds too long. That "blob" is usually a sign of too much aeration, in my experience.

sordomudo11 (original poster)

#35: Post by sordomudo11 (original poster) »

Blob almost certainly means too much air. Another tip I learned from Zach at La Marzocco Home last week: the introduction of air should be in the *smallest* increments. You should hear a "tsk-tsk" rather than a "ch-ch" (if that makes sense). The sound should be really sharp, like a cutting or tearing. I thought I had been doing this along but realized that if I anchor the pitcher against the wand, I'm able to *barely* lower the other side and get that sound of small slivers of air. Now my milk is legitimately precise, like something out of a latte art video. You can basically draw with it. Using the Slayer 1.0 tip, FWIW.

kwantfm

#36: Post by kwantfm »

Thanks all, too much air was exactly the right diagnosis. I find this quite embarrassing given I've been steaming milk successfully for over a decade. Much better results this morning!
LMWDP #602