La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Finca Tamana Espresso / Tim Wendelboe - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
CwD

#21: Post by CwD »

I've been pulling it at around 1:1.4. 15g in to 20.5 out. Ends up at 25 seconds pre and around a minute pull. Think my last shot was something around 20.5% exty for those who care about that kind of thing.

Fine grind on the EG-1, but not especially so compared to the rest of what I pull. I usually pull shots with coffees somewhere between this kind of roast and a Wendelboe filter roast, so that's not too surprising.

The espresso is great. Intense sweetness. Almost distractingly sweet, even. I'd say the "brown sugar" on the bag is a good descriptor for it's kind of sweetness, that or caramel. Some non acidic fruit, but I've never been much into plums so I wouldn't be the one to ask if it's a plum fruitiness. Not getting as much of the herbal notes, suppose they're probably a bit delicate for this intensity.

Fausto

#22: Post by Fausto »

CwD wrote:I've been pulling it at around 1:1.4. 15g in to 20.5 out. Ends up at 25 seconds pre and around a minute pull. Think my last shot was something around 20.5% exty for those who care about that kind of thing.
Took it in a very different route huh, how did you end up with that recipe? Must be pretty viscous.

CwD

#23: Post by CwD replying to Fausto »

This is my usual style. And pretty much always with single origins around this same roast level, so figured it'd work here too. And very viscous indeed.

Probably started thanks to my Caravel. Anymore most shops espresso, even the really tasting good ones, are too light for me. Luckily the one right by me pulls similarly syrupy.

nuketopia

#24: Post by nuketopia »

Pulled a few 1.5:1 ristrettos, 20g in 30g out in 35 seconds.

It emphasized the acidity and herbal notes, but it lacked the sweetness that seems to be this coffee's strong suit, especially in milk. My guess is the retained sugars need more extraction to come out.

I think at this point, I agree with the recommended brew parameters. Good balance and sweetness.

nuketopia

#25: Post by nuketopia »

Made a couple of cups in the Aeropress. Very sweet cup of coffee. Prominent brown sugar, followed by a light toastiness. Acidity is a bit lost in it so not a lot of fruitiness. Just a sweet cup with lots of clarity.

JavaRanger (original poster)

#26: Post by JavaRanger (original poster) »

I am using this subscription to improve my Home Barista "dialing in" skills and opening up my taste buds to something new each month.

This month (1st Month) came with an espresso tasting guide, card stock with brew perimeters and a booklet about the Tim Wendelboe Coffee Roasters & Espresso Bar.

Details about all extractions used in tasting.

Machine: Linea Mini
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30
Grind Size: Finer than usual, around 2.5
Dose: 21g in a 21g Strada ridged basket
Tamper Size: 58.4
Pressure: 9 bar
Temperature: 201
Yield: 42 grams out
Time: 31 sec.

Tasting; I waited till 9 days after roast to do my official tasting. This was my first time having Tim Wendelboe beans, so don't have cafe experience to benchmark.

Shot - nice medium mouth feel, not a syrup shot. Notes of plum and stone fruit, with a lingering of sugar in the finish.

Cappuccino - I am using a 6oz cup, and whole milk. I find the bean really do shine with milk (shocker this is Tim's selection for a milk beverage). Properly steamed milk brought out the brown sugar notes, while getting the plum as well, I really liked it. I pulled a 1&1 and liked that the best actually, generally I do prefer a 1:1 espresso to milk ratio.

Chilled shot - I chilled a demitasse for an hour, then pulled a shot. I got a lot more floral in the beginning, then plum and bit of sweetness more sugar than brown sugar.

As far as the bean selection by LM, I think it was great to go with the Finca Tamana which works with milk. With the steam power of the LM machine lineup, having a bean that also works well with milk is a plus. I am jealous of anyone who was able to try the Hunkute in the Cafe and then take some home. RyanP was able to do that, which is a cool way to see how close you can come to the same beverage served in the cafe.

I have some pics below, I took from the last few days

thepilgrimsdream

#27: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

I won't say I'm disappointed, but I have had better/more exciting coffees from Tim Wendelboe.

Machine : GS3
Grinder : Peak
Bar : 7.5
Temp : 201f
Time : 32
Grind : 2.75
Dose : 18g
Yield : 36g

It may be the Peak, but I found the herbal note to be quite distracting. The fruit was a little bit of tart plumb with almost a burnt graham cracker in the body. The fruit notes didn't quite balance with milk very well.

I'll try either a 2.2-2.5:1 ratio in the Peak tomorrow or I'll throw it in the K30

I've pulled his coffees generally closer to a 2.5-3:1 ratio in the past. This one seems to have a little more roast than usual, which would make sense for a 2:1, but I think getting a higher extraction yield would maybe balance out a little bit of sourness in the fruit.

The Peak seems to like higher ratios more like the EK43.

I know TW uses Roburs which tend to like slightly shorter extractions, so hopefully the K30 will get me in that range.

michael

#28: Post by michael »

whats the next coffee 8)

JavaRanger (original poster)

#29: Post by JavaRanger (original poster) »

I am in the same danger zone situation myself!

HB
Admin

#30: Post by HB »

Dan Kehn