First "grown up" machine... Profitec? Bezzera? Quick Mill?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Giftable

#1: Post by Giftable »

I know these types of questions get asked a thousand times a day but I've browsed quite a bit and I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for. I find myself getting overwhelmed and playing the step-up game (oh, this one looks great! But for only $200 more I could get this....... etc) and ending up way over my head and pay grade.

I have been making 2-5 lattes a day for myself since I was 12, so I have a fair bit of experience pulling a shot but have never had a really good machine. I set a $2000 limit for myself but would prefer to stay under to $1500 to allow myself the ability to upgrade my grinder at some point soon too.

What I do know is that I want a semi-auto, and I'm fairly certain I want a dual boiler with PID. While I'm comfortable fiddling with grind size, brew temp, etc, I want to be able to find my preferred settings and pull a great shot every time. I think a HX would be too much of a variable for me? My husband also uses my machine once a day and he is less willing to spend time perfecting his cup, so I need to be able to give him settings/instructions and let him run with it. What I'm saying is the machine can have a learning curve, but it needs to be consistent once all the variables are set. We both drink lattes so milk frothing is also key.

Also, as much as I hate to admit it, aesthetics are very important. This is going to be a showpiece in my kitchen and I don't want to see plastic. Quiet is also a HUGE plus, as I sometimes want to brew while my kid is sleeping (who doesn't?) and I will sometimes grind extra in the morning and store it in an airtight container so that I don't have to run my grinder again later and wake him. Quick heat up time is another bonus, for that first morning cup.

Sorry for the enormous intro. Here are some of the machines at the top of my list, feel free to throw out others or tell me why I should eliminate some. Any guidance is beyond appreciated!!!

-Rocket Giotto Premium Plus with PID {edit: just realized this is HX! Oops! I guess that rules it out...}
-Profitec Pro 300
-Bezzera BZ10 (it's a HX but does the electronically heated brew head really provide the temp stability I'm looking for??)
-Quick Mill Silvano Evo?

Thanks again!!!

MikFlores300

#2: Post by MikFlores300 »

I have a Profitec Pro 300 and I love it. I can easily make a few lattes, if I wanted. I was new to making espresso when I purchased it, and I loved the easy learning curve. I was making good shots on the first day. It's a no frills machine, but makes great espresso. Also, I think it looks good.

cheez

#3: Post by cheez »

I second the Pro 300. Admittedly I'm a bit biased as a German but I think that you don't get more quality than ECM/Profitec in that price range. The Pro 300 checks all the boxes for a really good price. If you are okay with its design and don't crave a E61 group with its pros and cons I'd say go and get it. I have to say I didn't like the design the first time I saw it but now I think it looks like a smaller Linea Mini. And the heat up time of 10 to 15 minutes is just unbeatable.

SonVolt

#4: Post by SonVolt »

"I recommend what I purchased. However, I haven't tried the machines I have not purchased."

Giftable (original poster)

#5: Post by Giftable (original poster) replying to SonVolt »

Haha I know, right? That's kind of what I was expecting. I feel like any of these machines would work. I just hoped someone could compare more than one or give me a downside I hadn't noticed :wink:

cheez

#6: Post by cheez replying to Giftable »

There is no one who has all machines that are available to you and probably even no one who has the three you mentioned. I don't have any of them, not even used one but that doesn't really matter. I read a lot about them and who says that you can only know something if you have experienced it first hand? Practically everything we know is based on the research of someone else.

Giftable (original poster)

#7: Post by Giftable (original poster) replying to cheez »

I get that. I'm just not feeling like my research is sufficient for such a big purchase. You all here seem to be much more experienced than I am so I will take whatever info I can get, even if it's hearsay