Used home lever espresso machines conditions. Geographical

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

I've noticed a trend with vintage home espresso machine conditions based on location.
I wonder why older espresso machines I import from Europe of the same age appear in general worse condition than a similar machine locally and contemplated.

* Amount of use as the vintage machines in N.A. being low and have been somewhat novelty and put aside for decades.
* Attitude towards home espresso machines, as novelty could they have been babied in N.A. vs considered simply as a regular coffee machine in Europe.
* Storage of machines. Older damp environments vs more conditioned locations.
* Maybe imported machines are just older and therefore have more mileage.

As far as condition I'm referring to.
- quality of paint and general aesthetics of machine
- pitting both internal and external
- rusting at base level or trays

I understand that this maybe a generalization and so I stress by in large based both on machines I've purchased and machines I see for sale.
This is not a dig but more of an observation.
Hope it's not misinterpreted.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

crazy4espresso

#2: Post by crazy4espresso »

Having lived in Europe and on the coast, the sea salt and high humidity in those old homes can be a big factor. Also, I'm sure European machines have seen far more use than North American ones, at least until recently.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

redbone (original poster)

#3: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to crazy4espresso »

Good point regarding coastal locations and sea air. I'm sure that effects all metals regardless on which side of the pond.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

elvice2000

#4: Post by elvice2000 »

Having lived in Europe and on the coast, the sea salt and high humidity in those old homes can be a big factor
Hi guys, I can't let it say, Europe is not a country, and all houses are not old and wet!!! We have internet, concrete, high-tech,etc... across the ocean you call us the old world, but don't worry, we're not savage, so maybe machines are just often olders than the ones wich came to US US latter...you have Airsteam trailers, we have coffee machines, for a long time...sorry if I'm out of purpose...

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary replying to elvice2000 »

Bastien,

I think we have damp basements, attics and barns all over the world. The OP seems to be asking whether machines in locations with high humidity or where they are used everyday instead of rarely are likely to be affected by those conditions. Your point is that there are more old coffee machines to be found. I think that is correct, so older machines will be in a condition that is ... older. :wink:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

elvice2000

#6: Post by elvice2000 »

Yes, that's the point, in a better english! :) Here in france, if you want to buy an airstream, to keep the exemple, you 'll find some, and in pretty great condition, because people who import it import well state trailers.And sell it at a much more expensive price than ones you can find in US, which produce so much of it.Same thing for the coffe machines in europe, especially France, Italy and spain, the three historical big producers...

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by jwCrema »

Robert,
I think you're onto something. As a case in point, my sister has a 1995-ish La Pavoni that she has used once. She really has no intention to use it, but is not willing to sell it either, so it sits.

#8: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to jwCrema »

Show piece ! !
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by jwCrema replying to redbone »

I wish I could say that. It's under the counter where no one can see it. I've made my pitch to find it a good home to the point I have to let it go.

#10: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to jwCrema »

Hmm, sounds like it's in need of a kidnapping of sorts. :roll:
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549