Buying advice for real high-end single group setup

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nihob

#1: Post by Nihob »

Hi

I'm new to this forum, excuse my english, I'm no native speaker ))

I'm looking forward to buy a home setup , grinder , manual machine and all other stuff, water treatment and so on....

My Budget is about 15k to 18k for grinder and machine

It must be a single group and super high end.

The machines I saw till now are:

Slayer 1 group
Keesvanderwesten Speedster
Synesso MVP Hydra
La Marzocco Strada EP 1

Could you help me with Pros and Cons, and if you know other machines in this range....

Grinder: ( I want no dosing box )

Mythic Pro 1 (climate)
Mahlkönig Peak
Lynweber EG 1
Mahlkönig EK 43 Barista ( I emailed with the company, and they said that it is still prototype...)

Could you help me with Pros and Cons, and if you know other grinders in this range....

Thankx
Rainer

CwD

#2: Post by CwD »

If I were personally buying something top end right now, I'd probably go with the MVP Hydra. Since as far as I'm aware, only it and the Strada have fully manual paddle pressure control on that list.

And I'd go with EG-1 as my grinder again. But also take a look at the Monoliths.

arcus

#3: Post by arcus »

For this budget, a Titus grinder sounds perfect!

chrisbodnarphoto

#4: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

All of the espresso machines listed above are pretty fantastic! All make wonderful coffee and all have different features ... long story short, all machines will serve you well, and there is a LOT on this forum about most of them (minus the Strada since the 1gr is brand spankin' new and there are very few units in the wild).

Different size requirements, different approaches to preinfusion and/or pressure profiling, and different specs (power requirements/usage, plumbed in or not, etc) are all things that should help you determine the right machine for you.

I've done a LOT of research on all of these :: if there are any specific questions you may have feel free to PM me! I would go on a long rant here on the board (which I may do later!) but I'm ok my phone at the moment. :)

I went with the Strada EP for a couple of different reasons (some of which you can see on the 'Strada Mini is coming' thread). Your mileage may vary!

Larry Marzocco

#5: Post by Larry Marzocco »

All great machines.

I would suggest Slayer and Speedster for their looks and Strada EP for the ability to master the ultimate coffee.

EDChris

#6: Post by EDChris »

I've only been hands on with the Slayer and the KVDM, and I'd have to give the edge to the KVDM just for the aesthetics. I've used the Hydra, but only in a multi-group configuration and it was very good as well, but not as "exciting" as the other two if that makes sense?

For the grinder do you mean the Mythos One Clima Pro? If so that is a super good grinder; it's the one we use in the shop here. I can't speak to its variability (we almost never adjust it) but the consistency and quality is impressive, and it's built like a tank and fast to boot.

amh0001

#7: Post by amh0001 »

My best advice with this price range is: get your hands on them before you decide. You can compare specs all day on the internet, but there is nothing like running some shots on the machine to see the work flow. If you can find a place to use each one it will give you a ton of info. I know that with these high end machines, it might be hard to find somewhere to use one.

For instance (I know completely different price range), but when I bought my Oscar II, I did tons of research. I never knew the first shot will always be different because of the water pathing (i think). This makes flushing and other things a pain. Now, with that said I still enjoy the shots im pulling, but if I would have ran some shots on the machine I might not have bought it.

I know this might not be the answer you are seeking, but that is my advice. Good luck!

James Mulryan

#8: Post by James Mulryan »

This is all fantasy for me, but Speedster
Did you see the progression of machines leading up to the Speedster on his website?

Amazing Art, incredible engineering.

G.F.

#9: Post by G.F. »

Can't go wrong with these machines.

I had the same dilemma. I decided speedster.

Almico

#10: Post by Almico »

I'd go with this one:

A nice customized Bosco Posillipo.

Interesting that this one was built with a steam knob and a water lever. Hum.